Japanese maples autumn colour 2009

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Oct 13, 2009.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lee

that is interesting that your Brocade turned green. Here is a photo of one of my three. Two of them are in pots and one in the ground and they stayed purple all year and then turned to red in fall but I did have other red trees turn green and stayed green all year. 'Yezo nishiki' was one of mine that was green and 'Red Pygmy' also was green. Then again my Ozakasuki's were kind of lame in that they were orange with no red.
    Thanks for the answer on the Tamukeyama, from the photo with it next to the aj O isami I thought it was a new upright tree. I will load a photo tomorrow of my O isami which has no where near as vivid yellow as yours.

Thanks again and coutinue to provides us with your photos

charlie

Attached Files:

• luba.jpg
      luba.jpg
      File size:
      295.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Charlie,

That 'Brocade' is gorgeous, the lil one is a cutie too!

Here is a pic of my 'Garden Glory'. It is still 2/3 green so color is still developing.

The best looking tree for me this fall is 'Red Dawn' its' red is a rich and lively hue and the leaves have good substance. The contrast with the green stems and trunk is exotic/alluring. The bright green pine in the back is P.Bungeana 'Silver Ghost'.

Attached Files:

3. amazingmaples

here is a photo of the 'Red Dawn' that I just planted in someone elses yard yesterday. It had been a tree people just walked by all year and never really noticed but this fall it stood out and someone had to have it for their yard. Luckly for me I am getting a new one in my next load.

Now for the oddity trees, here is it. It is an Acer palmatum 'Ibo juhi'. It is like a big fluffy ball. I think the tree might have grown an 1" this year. When i bought the tree, they told me to keep this one and now I know why. I will get a photo of it after the leaves are off and show its rough bark. I am not sure if there is anyone out there selling the tree since it is "too slow" for production.

Gil, my daughter thanks you

Attached Files:

4. amazingmaples

Here is another strange tree for this year, it is an Ap 'Ao shime no uchi' which is not that uncommon of a tree but this year in July it strated dropping its leaves and kept producing more and more seed pods. You can see here it is still just filled with them and I have been pulling them off. I am still not sure what will happen next year since it seems like I do not see new buds for next year.
    It is pretty with all these pink pods.

Attached Files:

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

A few of my maples are making a late show of it, but they are spectacular nonetheless. The best of the lot is Acer japonicum 'Otaki' (see below)

Attached Files:

6. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

a wonderful panoply of pictures by the group - how magnificent.
    I really must learn how to use and post digital camera pictures.
    my contribution is an excellent article entitled The Science of Color in
    Autumn Leaves on the US National Arboretum home page with the url:
    www.usna.usda.gov
    admiring everyone else's great work I felt I HAD to contribute something so...

7. amazingmaples

Here are three different dwarfs,

One is an acer palmatum 'Kiyohime' next is an acer palmatum 'Murasaki kiyohime' next is an acer palmatum 'Tama hime' and last is my favorite of them all an acer palmatum 'Komache hime'

Attached Files:

8. Kaitain4

Komachi hime is my favorite too! It is absolutely fabulous in the spring. Unbeatable!

9. Poetry to Burn

I've been harboring a bit of jealousy this season. I had zero stunning plants here in Philly. After looking over these great looking posts again and again well......

Last Sunday i headed down to the beach to move a few small plants and I found that 'Matsugae' was stunning. First time that I've ever seen anything like this. The pics don't do justice to the orangey glow of the airy tiny leaves. It was spell binding to behold.

Attached Files:

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Excellent pictures friends.

PtB - I was only looking at photos of that tree in the 'Matsugae' thread earlier this week, definitely staying on the want list now I've seen the fall colour.

amazingmaples - stunning and large dwarf maples (forgive the oxymoron). Here is one of mine, can't remember if it is 'Kiyohime' or 'Murasaki kiyohime', I bought them at the same time and the writing has faded from the labels over the years. (I will grow them side by side in the spring and work out which is which.) Almost everything is now defoliated in my garden but these two are the exceptions.
    kiy1.jpg kiy2.jpg

11. Botann

Botann Member

12. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Very beautiful Botann. Thanks for sharing everybody, very nice.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Not much to learn Katsura. You have the camera, you have the plant?

Go shoot the plant with your digi camera. Have you a USB cable if so then if its the right cable for the camera attach it at the back or front of your computer in a USB slot...the other end goes into your camera.

Don't switch on the camera till all is ready (cable is in ) Now switch on your camera and your machine will search the harddrive for new hardware (your camera).

Once found you can then view the images. You will need to edit them to about 800 x600 for this forum.

Go to advanced at the bottom of the small writing area and click 'manage attachments' this will locate your images.

When done, ckick to close window.

14. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Botann, what a breathtaking garden!

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

A really enjoyable slideshow Botann!

Thanks

16. Poetry to Burn

Botann,

Ethereal! Thanks for the show.

17. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

Amazing botanne!!!

18. Botann

Botann Member

I knew you guys would like it. ;-)

Thanks.

Mike

19. Kaitain4

Mike,

Fabulous slide show! Love all the conifers - quite a collection. Looks like you're a Hinoki lover too. :-)

20. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

My garden is now at its best with the Fall colors. Going back to the comparative weather table between Portland and Toulouse (roughly same latitude) it is extraordinary that a small difference in average temperatures as mentioned results in a month gap in peak Fall coloration.

After a cold snap in early October which triggered change in a few maples and a heat wave in the second half on the month that stopped everything, we have had ten days in early November with what we call 'British weather' (sorry Maf ;o)), rain everyday with cool temperatures. We had almost 4 inches of rain which for my area is a lot and this is, in my opinion, what has made Fall colors this year outstanding. I still have 20% of the maples green, so this year's Fall season will last a full 2 months!

I have chosen some cultivars that are not so well known, specially in the US. The pictures are labelled with the cultivar name except for the last one where a 'Tana' tries to reach an 'Oshio beni'. Special mention for the 'Mon zukushi' colors, that tree is in complete shade from early October and, in spite of that, it gives these outstanding bright reds. This goes against accepted wisdom that calls for the anthocyanin production to be strongly mediated by the presence of strong sunlight. It is probable that anthocyanin production in the acer palmatum and its cultivars is mediated by environmental factors differently than, say, for acer rubrum.

Gomero

Attached Files:

21. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Botann - I will echo everyone else and say what a great slideshow, particularly liked the heavily pruned dissectums with the almost sculpted look.

Gomero - fantastic pictures, especially the last one, I do like to see contrasting leaves that complement one another. We've had the British weather too, for the last couple of weeks, but still no temperatures below about 2°C. (Everything has lost almost all of the leaves with the exception of 'Kiyohime' and 'Murasaki kiyohime' which have not lost a single leaf yet and still have portions of green foliage. If the colour gets better next week I will post another picture.)

22. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Botann -
    I enjoyed your slideshow so much, it would have been embarassing if anyone had seen me (wiping drool off my chin)! How many years have you spent developing this beautiful dream? Did you have a grand plan of garden design? Or just a great eye for what goes where, and the future?

23. Botann

Botann Member

I have been working on my garden for 30 years. It used to be a pasture for horses and cows.
    The good pictures come from good pruning and carrying a camera most of the time.
    Most Maples were grown from seed and selected for Fall color over the years. I couldn't afford to buy named Maples and cover several acres.

Most Hinokis and Cryptomerias were started from cuttings.

Thanks for the compliments.

Botann

24. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Thank you, for showing us a true work of a gardener's art. I have seen Nature's materpieces in many states and countries, and yours is right up there with Hers!
    Most sincerely,
    Ann

25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just add a bravo from here, Botann. I could wish my garden looks as good when mature, but I fear I don't have your touch. Really magnificent and I'm sure a true joy to live with.

-E