Japanese maples autumn colour 2009

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Oct 13, 2009.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chimera, it is great to see the trees in a larger space. the colors of the trees standout amoungst your wonderful evergreens.

Here is the fall color of an Acer palmatum 'Baldsmith', the tree is about 6' tall and 6' wide and is planted in partical sun.

Also included is an Acer palmatum 'Ki hachijo' which had one of the strongest yellows of all the trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think this is a Japanese maple, though I wondered if it might be A. japonicum 'Aconitifolium' instead. When Straley says the leaves of 'Aconitifolium' are "very deeply dissected", is that the leaf margins or the lobes? This is at an apartment building a few blocks from me in Vancouver's West End. It's not a big splash of colour from a distance, but close-up, I liked the deep red mixed with the green and bright white.

Attached Files:

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Wendy, not A. japonicum 'Aconitifolium', but one of the variegated A. palmatums. A.p. 'Versicolor' or 'Oridono nishiki' {has pink streaked bark sometimes} with those bluish green leaf portions, as a guess. Pics of the three in the Maple photo gallery. Similar variegated cultivars are 'Kagiri nishiki', 'Roseo marginatum', and 'Asahi zuru' . Other members may be more familiar with the one shown.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  4. amazingmaples

Here are two photos of Ap 'Kagiri nishiki' The one photo is of the little one in my yard and the other is one which will be added to my collection this fall when it is dug. The growth patern of the 'Kagiri nishiki' is more erect more like a 'Butterfly'. I will see if I can get a fall photo of the mature tree.

I will say both the 'Asahi zuru' and the 'Oridono nishiki' have the pink stems that you see on the new growth of the tree. Well no photos available from me on those two tree, they have both lost their leaves. The one or two still remaining are more of the purple. I can say I have found it very difficult to tell the difference between these two trees.

You can also find more info about japanese maples at my website, it is set up with hyerlinks to a couple large libraries of japanese maple information.

I did find that 'Versicolor' is also label as Ap 'Asahi zuru' by Nurseries PlantenTuin Esveld, Boskoop, Netherlands.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  5. wcutler

Thanks, chimera and amazingmaples. I'm just happy to know that I got my posting in the right thread!

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I vote for versicolor. (FWIW which is not much!)

-E

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful pictures Maf, but by showing Westonbirt you are placing the stakes way too high for those like me with tiny gardens ;o))

This unusually warm weather we are experiencing has taught me a few things. I have noticed for example that maples that are naturally yellow in the Fall do not seem to require as much cooling as the Fall-red colored varieties. Those that have turned yellow have done so correctly with good, solid coloring of all leaves. On the other hand the red colored varieties (those that have changed so far) have been a complete flop with mild pastel hues and quick browning and dropping. Some are rather unusual with a patchwork of different colors in the same leaf as shown in the attached pictures (A. Palmatum 'Seiun kaku' and A. pseudosieboldianum)

Gomero

Attached Files:

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

lol, I believe I am the one with the tiny garden, although even spacious gardens, like those shown in the wonderful pictures posted by Acermad, emery and chimera, seem small compared to Westonbirt. We are lucky it is open to the public; a hundred or more years ago the only people to see the autumn maples in the old arboretum were those priveleged few invited to the annual "colour parties" held there.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the old arboretum area, and Acer Glade in particular, it was late in the day by the time I made it up there, and the light was not suitable for photography. Here's an Osakazuki picture instead:
    Osakazuki2.jpg

9. amazingmaples

Here are some more photos of japanese maple at my place

The Ap 'Ruslyn in the Pink' had some of the best orang I have seen this year.

Next is Ap 'Sekka yatsubusa' it also has had outstanding fall color and the tree seems to be holding its leaves well since we have had heavy wind and rain throught the last week.

A nice little oddity tree is an Ap 'Tiny Tim' It also has a great orange, yellow and green color.

Attached Files:

10. maf

Beautiful trees, amazingmaples, you have a great collection.

Do you have either/both of 'Kiyohime' or 'Murasaki Kiyohime'? Most trees are past their best now in my garden, but these two are still in the early stages of colour change. I will try to post some pics later in the week.

11. amazingmaples

Thanks maf

I do have them along with several other dwarfs. I will take photos of them in the coming weeks as they change into their fall colors.

Here is a photo of an Ap 'Otohime' next to a 'Shaina'

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

I forget which snakebark maple I thought this was - I'll have to pay attention to the flowers in the spring. I like the edging on the leaves - elsewhere I posted a Stewartia that is doing that. This is a street tree outside my apartment building in Vancouver's West End.

This is west of my entrance path (for my records, as I'm not sure the two here are the same).

13. amazingmaples

Xman

Here is a photo of the Ap 'Purple Ghost' which just came in from Oregon which are still tie up, the container size is 100 gallons. One of my favorite trees is next to it, it is a tied up 'Mikawa yatsubusa' which is 5'x5'. The 'Mikawa yatsubusa' from Oregon are changing color but mine is still green.

Now for fall color, I have a photo of an Ap 'Amber Ghost' and an Ap 'Ueno yama' there is a beat up "Coonari Pygmy' between the two trees

Attached Files:

14. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

wcutler thanks for have show the foto of snake bark maple :-)

15. amazingmaples

Here is an Ap 'Ukon' that has changed to a wonderful bright yellow. One of the few trees which are planted in my yard is this Ap 'Tsukushagata' which has a nice orange fall color. Ap 'Tsukushagata' is to me more beautiful in summer with its dark purple leaves and irridescentish green seed pods.

Attached Files:

16. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

In my garden, Kurabeyama has had the most consistent and gorgeous fall color year after year, stunning. Triflorum, too. Both were spectacular, again. The one autumn semi disappointment has been Meigetsu, but maybe the right conditions are needed for best color. Then I have a very small Rugosa that is just great. I'm still waiting for the Shishigashira!

17. amazingmaples

Gil

I went to take a photo of the As 'Garden Glory' but found the tree had already dropped all of its leaves. I will look through some of my old photos of last year and see if I can find one of it. I did add a photo of an As 'Lovett'.
    Here is a photo of one of my Ap 'Shishigashira' which is turning its fall color. Two of my other shishigashira have lost their leaves.
    I have also include an Ap 'Nishiki gawa' which is turn a nice color.

Attached Files:

18. chimera

amazing maples, very nice trees, thanks for showing. Would you have a close up of the bark on 'Nishiki gawa' by any chance ? maf thanks for showing us the photos of the Westonbirt trees, very nice. That is an interesting and good looking pot in your first photos also, with the beautiful dissectum and moss, well matched. The Acer triflorum seems really interesting for an addition here, considering the photo and comments.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  19. amazingmaples

Chimera

Thanks. As for the close up, here are a couple photos of the tree. The tree itself is about 9' tall and 12' wide with about a 4" caliper. The tree is around 14 years old, I aquired it about a year ago.

Attached Files:

20. chimera

Very interesting and great photos, thank you very much. Some of these photos would seem to be good additions to the Maple Photo Gallery. Particularly cultivars that aren't already in the gallery, those cultivar threads that don't show a full tree's form with some age, and cultivar threads lacking fall colour. Just not sure if duplication would be ok.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  21. Noxtra

Noxtra Member

Thanks to everyone who posted pics.......Thoroughly enjoyable thread. Most of my trees were on the downside before I thought to take any pictures. I was in the coldframe today cleaning trees and getting ready for Winter and gathered a few individual leaves to photograph. Wished I would have started earlier.

Lee

Attached Files:

22. maf

Great pictures Lee. Particularly like the smorgasbord of Acer leaves, wish I'd done something similar but too late now.

23. maf

Thanks. The pot and its twin originally belonged to my grandfather who has been late for more than a decade now. They are made of some kind of cement/artificial stone/concrete type mix and are very heavy with a thick base, and might even be indestructable. I like them very much, I wish I could obtain some more.

I never know what to do with the moss that sometimes grows in my potted acers. I usually end up removing it but it does look good and I guess acts as a natural mulch.

24. amazingmaples

chimera

as for any of my photos, you are more than welcome to use them, I am not sure of the true quality of the photo since i am using a cheapy camera.
    <br>
    Noxtra. it is interestig to see that your Ap 'Brocade' is yellow, all of mine are bright red. You also have a tree named 'Tam', what is its full name? do you have a photo of the whole tree.

25. Noxtra

Noxtra Member

The brocade's true color is probably closer to orange with some red and yellow streaks. The flash washed out the true color somewhat. I have three and they start out dark red in the Spring turn green in the summer then to orange for Fall.

The tree in the pic that is labeled Tam&Oisami is Tamukeyama.

Lee