Japanese Maple Seedling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lawnpoint, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Lawnpoint

Lawnpoint Member

I have grown this Japanese Maple from a collected seed 10 years ago, at first it was grown in a pot for 8 years as it was unusual I thought as the leaves were mostly 9 lobed. It has been in the ground now for two years and many of the leaves display 5 and seven lobes even on the same branches as the 9 lobes.
    If anyone can identify this to the closest cultivar I would be very happy. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Based on the way the leaves roll downward, it looks most similar to the Green Trompenburg/Hitode/Mr. Sun type of cultivar.

A nice tree!

3. Lawnpoint

Lawnpoint Member

Thank you very much.

It is very similar to the Green Trompenburg so that's what I will call it when asked.
    I new about the red one but was not aware there was a green one.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You cannot call a seedling by the name of the parent. Seedlings may (or may not) look similar to the parent tree, but they are not the same tree. The only way to have a true 'Trompenburg' or any other cultivar is by rooted cuttings or grafting.

5. Lawnpoint

Lawnpoint Member

I don't think you understood my post, I was asking what was the closest named cultivar.

I agree that it closly resembles the "Green Trompenburg" in every way except that the colour is a lighter shade of green. It is very likely that this seedling was produced from this cultivar.

To me it is a Japanese Maple and when visitors ask me what kind I can answer it is a "Green Tompenburg" seedling because on the north side of the 49th we are free of the maple police.