Japanese Maple Pruning

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Eric La Fountaine, May 31, 2004.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent via email:

I have a japanese red maple. I have had it since it was just a wee little seedling. It has grown very bushy and more around and left to right in a horizontal way then vertical north to south. My boyfriend keeps insisting I cut it from the bottom so it will grow upward. I do trim a little of the branches that hang on the ground but not like he wants me to do. Am I wrong to let it keep growing the way it is or is he right? He insists I am wrong and they should not grow bushy the way mine is growing . I thought this maple was supposed to grow round and drape downward? If you could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it . thank you

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

well, cutting the bottom will not make it grow upward. It will grow upward if it wants to or is destined genetically to do so. pruning the bottom may give it a different appearance at best. no plant "needs" pruning intervention by humans to survive although sometimes they may benefit from it. Pruning for cosmetic purpose is entirely up to the owner of the plant and their preferences, although this is generally not in the best interest of the plant in question. I would suggest you try to confirm the identity of the plant and perhaps that will start you on the road to learning what it may or may not be likely to do in the future.