Japanese Maple online sources

Discussion in 'Maples' started by MapleSyrup, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup Member

Hi all,

In the last few years I have bought from a few different mail order online sites. In general I have been satisfied with the quality.

Recently I have become more particular about the overall appearance of my trees, the branching structure, the straightness of the trunk, etc.. Can anyone recommend a grafter who takes care in the overall aesthetic of the tree and not just the grafting aspect?

I am looking to buy a number of 1 to 3 gallon size maples and don't mind spending more for higher quality plants. I have enough stragglers already :).

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I absolutely second Topiary Gardens - Diana is fantastic; easily half my collection has come from her. If she can fit it in a box she'll ship it, and her packaging is top notch. If you'd like a picture before committing, she's happy to oblige. Whitman Farms is another excellent source; Lucile (owner) always sends a picture first so you can decide. Especially now, with the busy season starting, I would recommend calling if you haven't had a reply to your email within a couple of days. Both also have a LOT that isn't listed on their website, so don't be put off if you don't see what you're looking for.

Garden Design Nursery is also very good, Eastfork Nursery (Sam gets her trees direct from Buchholz Nursery), Mr. Maple, and Conifer Kingdom are also other good sources.

4. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

My most beautiful trees ordered online have come from:

Matt and Tim at Mr. Maple
    Diana at Topiary Gardens
    Sam the Maple Lady at Eastfork Nursery

Can't recommend those three high enough.

A Saiho from Mr. Maple
    E01D68D7-3656-4798-B9BC-4EBF8AA5B3E2_zpsp55akqpy.jpg

A Mikawa Yatsubusa from Diana
    DBFF3B45-A503-4D34-A8AA-FDA907ABF34C_zpsqzyshdej.jpg

Hard to see the form but an Amber Ghost from Sam
    883F70BE-BD8B-4F0B-8A5B-1F3FD0925D9E_zpsbhppgyfu.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Maplesyrup, I just realized that you're in NYC. Diana - Topiary Gardens - is in Marcellus, NY, so she would be the most logical to purchase from as her trees are already acclimated to your climate and she only carries what does well in your zone/area. Bonus, you could even go pick your trees out yourself! (Very jealous here, lol) She is currently moving everything out from the greenhouses due to the warmer weather. :)