Japanese maple leaves curling up, drying up and dropping.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlbertaInVirginia, Jun 23, 2019.

1. AlbertaInVirginia

AlbertaInVirginia New Member

Can anyone help with my Japanese Maple problem--it is not a weeping variety. (Have two of those and they are fine.)
    This is a young plant- second year. The leaves just started curling up, drying up and dropping. I noticed traces of white patches on some of the branches. Fungus? Spider mites? Can I just spray it with soapy water and see it that helps? Or do I need to get it out before what ever it is affects my two beautiful weeping maples? It now has no leaves but it is still alive.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

There are people who could probably help you diagnose the problem with your maple based only on your description but it would be useful if you could also provide a photo or two to illustrate.

3. AlbertaInVirginia

Hello
    Unfortunately I deleted photos from first wilt.
    Am inclosing poor naked tree, translucent spider that is often seen, and the green stem showing it's not gone yet. I started spraying it with soapy water last night. And don't see any of the white patches today- maybe just a lighter bark. The branches are still a deep red.

Attached Files:

4. AlbertaInVirginia

Do have a site question- I noticed my post has been added as a single thread. Just wondering why it was not included in the large thread of : japanese maple tree sudden leaf wilt
    I noticed some other people posting are from PA and VA and they may have an idea too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm an assistant moderator here, am the one who moved your thread. We usually prefer to start over with a new thread after a long gap. The folks who were involved in the original thread may no longer be interested in receiving notifications from the forum. The people who were involved in the original thread did get notified from your posting, and have not (yet?) replied. With your posting as just a reply to an inactive thread, people may think there is already plenty of info, whereas for a new thread, you get to start with particulars to your situation. I think more attention is given to new threads (that may not be true). I have editing your posting above to put in the link to the original thread.

6. AlbertaInVirginia

OK --Just curious since I'm new to the site
    Thanks