Japanese Maple ID

Discussion in 'Maples' started by gin-ger, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

I was so proud of myself when I got all my JMs labeled last year using copper tags so they wouldn't fade. Little did I know the squirrels would have so much fun tossing them aside while digging in the soil. Most labels were still in the pot or nearby but this one disappeared completely and I can't remember its name. It's truly a little gem with its tiny yellow-green leaves & red stems. New growth is edged in red also. It's a dwarf variety with a horizontal branching habit and rather tight inner nodes...the leaves are small...mature leaves about the size of a quarter, new leaves dime to nickel sized. Any help with identification much appreciated!
    Ginger

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe Winter flame..

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Good guess Alex. Fjellheim could be another possibility.

Gomero

4. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I don't know about Winter flame because I haven't studied it yet, but I don't think it is Fjellhiem. Mine shows more of a tufted look, having very short growth on old wood but with long new shoots. Color and leaf definitely reminds me of one of these types though.

5. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Thanx for the excellent suggestions, y'all. After some research, I was ready to accept it as Fjellheim until I found out Fjellheim is an upright grower and mine is quite horizontal. Gomero, I just ran across a Murasaki kiyohime thread with pictures looking very much like mine. Do you think that could be correct? I ask you Gomero, because you said you had one.
    Also, I would add that the stems are red now but I can't say for sure that this color persists thru winter as I have not noticed it during the 2 winters I've had it...seems like that trait would be hard to miss but it's possible! Thank you everyone for your help!
    Ginger