japanese maple grafts--aftercare

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jholl, Mar 22, 2009.

1. jholl

jholl Member Maple Society

looking for some advice as to aftercare of new acer grafts---are they best kept on the dry side---do they need shade--when do you cut off the the base stock above the grafts etc---

2. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

I've just received some young Red Filigree Lace grafts - about 25cm tall. The chap that grafted them gave me some advice on caring for them. They came in 9cm pots and now they've leafed out a bit I've potted them up in a mixture of 70% compost & 30% perlite.

I put them outside if it's sunny but bring them in at night until it gets warmer. If it's windy they stay in as they are very fragile. We have highs of 12C, lows of 2C at night here currently.

He advised to keep them on the dry side but a grafting nurseryman I spoke to said not to keep them dry. So I'm hegding my bets a bit here & watering lightly every day. They both grow RFL grafts.

I think I'll feed them 3ml of MiracleGro ( 5-5-5 ) in 0.5l water on a weekly basis.

3. jholl

jholl Member Maple Society

were your maples grafted this year---also what are RFL grafts--good luck with your
    new plants--

4. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

These are new grafts grown to come "alive" this Spring.

Sorry, RFL was Red Filigree Lace

Attached Files:

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Slowly increase water, and keep shady. The graft union needs to be given time to heal properly and gain some strength. Grafts don't need a lot of water until the leaves start forming. Too much water too soon can "drown" the graft, because too much sap will flow into the relatively weak grafted area. Once leaves really push out and start to unfold, gradually increase water. When fully leafed out, water normally as you would other potted maples.

6. plantman56

plantman56 Member

"I think I'll feed them 3ml of MiracleGro ( 5-5-5 ) in 0.5l water on a weekly basis"

I believe it would be ok to just water them. I was never a big fan of MG and especially a chemical fertilizer for Japanese Maples. Altough I have never seen MG (5-5-5). I use a product from a company called Espoma. It is grandular and organic. Maples are not needy for fertilizer. I beleive they also like acid soil also.
    ALso you may not want to force the new graft to grow lots by giving it fertilizer.
    I prefer to keep my new grafts in a slightly sunny / shady area ( maybe under a tree) the forst year. And during the first winter I keep mine protected from my zone 6 winters. Not indoors, but outside in a corner next to a building.

As for water - I am ok with letting it dry a bit between waterings.
    Iit will depend on the soil mix - Maples do not like to be too wet - 70% compost & 30% perlite - may be ok . Just watch it daily to ensure it does not stay wet.

7. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

Esveld in Holland have just transitioned over to an organic system using "effective micro-organisms". They say that the resultant plants are more compact but healthier.

Me....I think all things are made of atoms ! I know what you mean about some MG fertilizers. The 5-5-5 is "light" & balanced but some of their fertilizers would be far too aggressive & not balanced either. Not recommended for delicate grafts IMHO.

The last two summers have been very wet in England and my Acers have grown like never before so I'm keeping them well watered from now on although they are all in pots with good drainage - they don't like wet feet.