Japanese Maple being eaten by house sparrows

Discussion in 'Maples' started by MaggieR, Sep 25, 2020.

1. MaggieR

MaggieR New Member

We live in Brookings, Or. The house sparrows have decided to pull the leaves off our Japanese Maple and eat the buds at the base of the leaf. The leaves are almost completely gone in two days. We haven't seen this behavior in the four years we've lived here. Any ideas?
    Thanks very much!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MaggieR good morning Maggie and welcome to the Maples forum. It appears you have bugs of some kind on your maple and the Sparrows are pecking at these and inadvertently knocking off the buds at the same time. I would inspect your maple for insect life and treat, 'once identified'.
    It would help members on the forum if you could post a photo or two as there maybe more going on. I have added the link for you if you are unsure how to do this. The bugs can often be identified on the forum
    Attach photos and files
    Hope this is some help to start with.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MaggieR any update on your Japanese maple?

4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

I have also had a problem with a sparrow, it turns out that I have two emerald lace next to each other and very similar in size, because it turns out that a sparrow has been all summer pecking at the petiole of the leaves of one of them, cutting many of them, and of all the maples is the only one who went every morning and cut one or two, like that throughout the summer, he changed places and was two or three days without pecking it and then returned, well I have spent the In the summer, changing his place, at the beginning of September he stopped going daily and now he does it very from time to time, but he still continues, and looking at him it turns out that it is the same sparrow.
    Curious the truth and without explanation why he always goes to that maple.