Japanese Maple Bark - root crown decay?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ceriano, Apr 4, 2022.

1. ceriano

ceriano Member

Is this a case of root crown decay?
    I planted this emperor 1 last august. It was containerized and planted too deep. As I was removing the dirt from the root flare small part of the bark chipped away. Maybe I accidentally damaged it but it’s also possible it was already decaying.
    Should I spray it with fungicide to minimize the chance of bacterial infection? I appreciate everyone’s input.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That's what I would do, yes.

ceriano likes this.
  3. ceriano

ceriano Member

What type of spray do you recommend? Copper?

4. AlainK

Yes, that's what I use. Bordeaux mix or the like. In that case, instead of spraying, I use a small brush and paint the wound with a high concentration of B. mix. Don't hesitate since the wound touches the ground and rot is even more likely to set in.

See this one (February 2013) that was painted the year before but still shows traces of B. mix, and how it healed two years later (May 2015) :

acerp_atro-dis01-t_130228a.jpg acerp_atro-dis01-t_150525b.jpg

dicky5ash and ceriano like this.
  5. ceriano

ceriano Member

How often do you apply copper? Weekly?

6. ceriano

ceriano Member

Sorry for my ignorance but what’s the Bordeaux mix?

7. AlainK

Bordeaux mixture - Wikipedia

It's still legal in France, and even used in organic plantations if used in a reasonable way. The way we, non-professionals can use it is much, much less harmful than other chemicals.

"If it is applied in large quantities annually for many years, the copper in the mixture eventually becomes a pollutant"

Typical : I went to a school trip and one of the pupils broke her glasses. Poor girl. Anyone who has to wear glasses knows how bad it feels when you break your specs.

She wanted to buy some glue, but the cash-desk attendant refused because it was "something that could be inhaled as a drug". I said, OK, I'll buy it for you.

They refused my buying it for her ! I had about ten bottles of beer, how did they know it was not to get the kids drunk and abuse them, no, they refused my buying glue to fix this girl's glasses. Well, if it was your daughter, or your son, what would you do ?

I called for the manager, someone came and he was adamant : no glue for her, no glue for you ! I just couldn't believe it. So stupid. She was a black girl from a working-class family, and she was so upset her glasses were broken. She was a black girl : did that trigger the hostility of the staff ?

I didn't file a case against them, we went back and forgot about it.

Sometimes, local regulations are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

ceriano likes this.
  8. ceriano

ceriano Member

Do you have any experience with Phosphorus Acid (Monterey Garden Phos, Organocide Plant Doctor)? It’s systemic and it’s supposed to help with root rot, the only problem is it should not be applied with copper which I applied this afternoon.

9. AlainK

No, sorry, never heard of it. It seems that each continent has their own favourite treatments ;-)

But two medicines should be enough by now...

ceriano likes this.
  10. ceriano

ceriano Member

I guess for now I stick to copper, if it gets worse I’ll try systemic. Did you apply it weekly?

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just to add my four peneth @ceriano I use Bordeaux mix and it works. So why as Alain said, try something else. I'm using it on a diseased branch on my Acer pseudoplatinus 'Brilliantissimum' atm and it's doing well.

ceriano likes this.
  12. ceriano

ceriano Member

Awesome thanks Bordeaux mix it’s is then!

13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Hey Derek - do you buy the chemicals and make a batch - where do you get yours from?

Cheers
    Rich

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

dicky5ash likes this.
  15. AlainK

Oh! A side-effect I've never heard of before. Hope your wife doesn't mind... <LOL>

Seriously, we can get it ready-made here, much easier. It's the most common treatment against vine mildew, peach leaf curl, and every amateur gardener treats their tomatoes with it. So I think it won't be banned for long.

Some "colourless" products are available too, but they're more expensive, and though labbelled "Bouillie bordelaise", they're not exactly the same. But copper is the main component.

dicky5ash likes this.