Japanese Maple Bark Damage by Squirrel

Discussion in 'Maples' started by scross1, Jul 4, 2007.

1. scross1

scross1 Active Member

Hello, I have a mature japanese maple that has lost a couple of sections of bark due to some squirrels fighting on it. Is there anything that I should do for the wounds? Also, ants are enjoying the edges of the damage, I guess the sap is still flowing. Is there anything I should do for them? And is there anything I can do to stop the squirrels short of a pellet gun?

Attached Files:

2. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

Assuming it's otherwise healthy your tree will be fine. But you might consider treating the area with some hydrogen peroxide. If you'd like to go a step further you can create a mixture of manure compost, natural diatomaceous earth, soft rock phosphate (wood ashes are a suitable substitute). mix it in a bucket, add water until it's a paint-able slurry. The manure compost feeds the tree at the point of injury boosting health, the phosphate gives it immediate access to a source for building new plant material, and the diatomaceous earth kills/drives away bad bugs that might try to use the wound as a point of entry to chewing up your tree. You might add some liquid seaweed to the mix too. This mix will likely wash off in a good rain, just reapply it if it does. You should be able to find these ingredients fairly easily.

As for the squirrels, I use a cayenne pepper spray.