Japanese Laceleaf maple - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by greeneyed_doll, Jul 3, 2007.

1. greeneyed_doll

greeneyed_doll Member

We purchased a Laceleaf Japanese maple I think this is an ACER palmatum dissectum. Anyway, it is looking very wilted and the leaves are very dry. It is planted next to our garage opening and is inside of a circle like spot surrounded by the drive and sidewalk, which are joined. It is in a spot that gets a lot of water and the soil there is very moist and holds water well. Some of the leaves are falling off too. I have wondered if it is getting too much water on roots or too much sun. It is in a spot that gets a lot of midday sun. Could that be a problem? Also, I wondered if there were some soil additives that I could use for it or what about mycorrhizal fungi? We haven't fertilized the tree but when it was planted we mixed the soil up with top soil from bags, composts, manures and a bit of miracle grow soil. I know that roots can get burned from fertilizer on them. I am lost. I can get a pic and post for someone to see if needed. I just want to do the right thing here and save this beautiful tree, especially since we paid quite a bit for it. My boyfriend thinks we should wait and see and keep watering, but I feel a sense of urgency here. I want to move it to a more shaded spot. Also, one more question.... Should you use Epsom salt and gypsum around a Japanese maple? I use it for roses and other plants, but wasn't sure about this tree. Thanks, Beth

Here are a few pics of this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More information about our tree ---
    Ok, I added a few pics to my post and I went out and bought some organic all purpose fertilizers. These have mycorrihazae, humic acid and other natural root stimulators. (Fox Farm, Rainbow Mix, and Superthrive vitamin additive.) I went out to the house yesterday and told my boyfriend we were going to have to do something about the tree now or he might lose it. He dug out around it for me to see how it looked. The soil was wet, BUT he said he had just watered it. I thought the amount of water looked reasonable for just watering. There was a little bit of pooled up water when he dug out but it may have been from just being watered and moving the soil around. We added some of the organics in to soil and watered it in a bit more. The soil around the tree looks like a pretty well drained mix. It has some small rocks, sand, and the soil he used. It doesn't have a lot of perlite in the mix. I wondered if adding some might be good. Also, when planting a tree like this... (which was bought growing in a large container)... where should the root ball be placed in soil or how deep. I guess I am just trying to figure out how far up the tree to bring the soil. I read somewhere that a berm around the base is something you should do. I also wondered, IF the soil is staying too moist here, could I build this area up just a bit into a bit of a berm and then maybe it would drain a bit better to help the tree? One more question about sun.... How much sun daily should it get...that is direct sun. Would this tree grow in partial shade? I thought that it might. It is getting a lot of morning and midday sun right now. I think it got wet by the sprinkler and some recent daytime rains and then got some really hot sun on it while it was wet, which I think may have scorched it a bit too.
    Would it be good to move this tree? Or would you suggest moving it or putting it back into a container for a bit to help it recover right now and then plant it elsewhere. It is in some distress so if the additives don't help it, I may get him to try something else. The nursery where he bought it wasn't much help. Are there any products anyone can suggest? Do I need to prune any of the dry or dead off? I wasn't sure about this. I wasn't sure if the leaves are just dry and fall off if new ones would come back in their place. If you have any experience with these trees please help me out. Thanks again, Beth

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Move it to somewhere which is better drained and definitely not so wet as you describe
    I think it is drowning
    I can't see your pic .......

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I agree with whis4ey. Sounds like drowning. Dig down a little and check the soil.

The picture didn't attach for some reason...

-E

4. whis4ey

I have just read your further comments and I am appalled
    Why on earth you think adding fertilisers to this tree will help it is beyond me
    For goodness sake give the poor tree a chance in life
    It is TOO WET
    Dig it up and re-plant somewhere where it is properly drained
    If you don't do this NOW it will surely die
    And ... please ... stop thinking that it needs care and attention beyond planting it in conditions that it needs for survival and to thrive

5. whis4ey

I have just looked at your pics
    I fear that your tree could already be dead ......

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Would try putting it in a well shaded cooler area with good drainage and air circulation {not crowded}. Could scratch the bark to see if it is still green if you think it might be dead.. Can move it to a less shady area in the fall if necessary and it's recovered. Looks like it will get reflected heat from the brick where it is now and maybe a drying breeze coming along a wall behind it. Don't bring the soil up the trunk of the tree, have the soil level or preferably sloping away from the base of the trunk {where the trunk meets the soil level} . They like acidic soil. Not sure if that is a recently constructed area, but you may be getting lime, etc. leaching from the bricks and concrete into the soil, or there may be some brick or concrete debris near the trees root area. Seems odd that the drainage pipe {black plastic} is above ground ,but maybe you are collecting the water or it is solid below the soil. Guess maybe the pipe is draining right into the soil area.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  7. greeneyed_doll

greeneyed_doll Member

I appreciate your help. I do agree the tree may be a little bit too wet. I also think it should be moved and we have agreed to do that. We are officially moving it tomorrow. It actually looked better today. There were some nice fresh looking leaves around the bottom and on interior. I do want to reply to what you said about the "fertilisers." I have read that the mycorrhizae fungi is very good to add to the soil. They help the roots and a good definition of what they do is "A fungus that forms a symbiotic relationship with a plant, by connecting to,and living outside or inside the plant's roots. The fungus provides nutrients and water to the plant and the plant provides carbohydrates to the fungus. The fungus will also connect plants to each other, by way of its hyphae." I didn't want to feed it a high nitrogen fertilizer because I know that isn't good for it. I have also been reading about leaf scorch, which may be our problem. This is a good article I found - http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06881.htm -
    So, moving it will help and the fungi would be another solution for this.
    Again.... thanks for your advice and to all others who have commented. I was also wondering if anyone knows the ideal Ph levels for a Laceleaf Japanese maple.
    Thanks, Beth

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

6.5 pH here seems ok. Oak leaves and pine bark and needles are good for a mulch {acidic}. Don't know ideal pH, guess it would depend on your soil and what is available to the plant. Maybe others know the ideal requirements for good colour, etc. They don't need rich soil. Understand different kinds of mycorrhizae work for different plants. Like a different kind of mycorrhizae may work with rhododendrons than one that works for certain orchids, so the nursery where it was grown may have already added a suitable mycorrhizae to the soil mix. Think chlorine or chloramine treated water can kill mycorrhizal fungi. Hope it recovers in a suitable location, nice to have a second chance.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  9. whis4ey

Will be interested to hear how your tree fares, particularly with your fungi additive (of which I have no experience)
    Good luck