Japanese Lace Leaf Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Joybee, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Joybee

Joybee Member

I purchased a young Japanese Lace Leaf Maple several years ago and planted it in the middle of my lawn as an ornament. However, although it is beautiful, especially during the Fall, it is growing quite large (wide) and I would like to know if and when I can prune it safely to control its growth. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This is the kind of plant that would really be better not clipped back. A comparatively small- and slow-growing, expensive item - a living sculpture with age, when not barbered to control size or deformed by other mal-pruning - if it is overwhelming its present position then space must be pretty tight. If you can't give it more room then maybe it needs another "room" to live in. Transplanting should be done when leaves are not present, otherwise they may wilt and shrivel.

3. cjd

cjd New Member

How do you root a Japanese Lace leaf maple tree?

4. ckramos

ckramos Member

I have a uncle who thinks his weeping japanese maple is shrub and attacks it with hedge clippers.

What you can do is maintenance pruning. Remove all the dead branches. Remove cross branches; opting for the more aged branch. This will help your tree breath and a be a little bit more airy in the inside. Blowing away bugs and insects, and any old dead leaves. What works for me is that I comb the branches with my fingers. Dead leaves and branches fall and snap off. This will also help you appreciate the movement of branches which you would only see in the fall and winter.

If you want to prune it back; just stare at it for a while after you did the above. Ask yourself "What shouldn't be here?" Trust your artistic instinct.

If you want to control the spread just remove yearly growth.

BTW. Nothing will happen if you focus on the price of the tree.

Check out this website: http://www.wayofmaple.com/
    She has a few weepers that she pruned back.