Jade tree falling over...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by johnes, Apr 16, 2008.

1. johnes

johnes Member

I have a jade tree that´s about a foot high.

I noticed today that it is totally leaning over to the side. While he looks healthy, I can see that the root ball is leaning too. in other words, the roots appear to not go down more than 4 inches. So I repotted him, but the roots are still real close to the top.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks John

2. johnes

johnes Member

Jade Tree growing out of pot, resting on edge

I have a huge Jade tree that's in a pot whose rim is about 2 feet off of the ground. It has a couple of major main trunks, and several rather thick branches. Most branches curl their way skyward, but some of them are so heavy that they are now resting on the edge and the branches grew down about a foot (and then started growing up).

By all means, it appears to be healthy, I just think that there may be somethign wrong by letting these heavy branches rest on the rim -- perhaps they may break.

What should I do? I thought of getting some styrofoam to brance them, any ideas?

Thanks John

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

Re: Jade Tree growing out of pot, resting on edge

can you post a pic?

are you sure there's no issue like rot happening?

without actually seeing it, i can't make any suggestions on pruning. and that's probably what you'll need to do - whether there's rot happening or not.

4. johnes

johnes Member

Re: Jade Tree growing out of pot, resting on edge

Wow - I just joined this forum yesterday and already an answer!

Sure - I can post a pic later today.

In the meantime, I can't think that there is rot given that it looks REALLY healthy.

Will keep you posted.

5. pwk

pwk Active Member

Not sure if this helps or not, but I know that jades tend to get wayyy ahead of themselves, becoming very top heavy. A solution may be gradual pruning. Simply break a branch or two off roughly every two weeks, (kind of depressing, i know, i hate pruning)... but it starts to grow back almost immediately, and helps keep the trunk nice and fat.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

If the root ball is not going down into the pot enpough, the pot is not wide enough and you should go up another pot size so you have at least an inch of root room all the around the inside of the pot.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged the 2 threads on similar topic)

8. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Yes, they do get big. Unless you want the plant to get MUCH larger and continue growing at those rates, then increase your pot size. Otherwise, try the following.

I would suggest 2 things:
    1) repot it, and angle it aesthetically, placing it properly in the container. Try to upset the rootball as little as possible, right up the tree in the angle you wish it to be, and try to solve your problem as such first. If it still needs some pruning, then do so.

2) pruning it additionally, if you feel that the repotting/reangling does not entirely do the job. Jades are forgiving succulents that are tolerant to pruning. Because their branches are so thick (as are their leaves so large), it almost feels like you're murdering it or causing it mortal pain. You aren't. You can cut branches and the tree will continue to grow. I don't recommend giving it a haircut and removing 70% of its branches in one day. Use common sense and trim a little here and there that are growing out of hand or causing lopsidedness.

I have had large plants that grew so quickly and responded so fast to light and environment that it very nearly overtook the pot and grew at an angle. This is also partly due to the fact that my life actually doesn't involve plants 24.7 and after a few weeks of letting it grow wild and unsupervised, I realized that they were growing on a slant. Yes.. I neglected them. The horror. The problem was easily solved by repotting and situating the roots and rootball and entire plant in the pot the way I wished.

Secondly, it is fairly easy to prune jades and propagate new babies with their leaves or by rooting stems. If you do any pruning, simply allow the branch cuttings to dry off (let the cut's sap dry and harden) for a couple of hours, dip in rooting hormone, and stick in dry soil. The cutting will automatically root itself in a week or two. To root a leaf, just pop it back in the dry soil. Dribble some water over these every so often and voila, a new baby plant at the base of your mother plant or at the edge of the pot somewhere. If you don't want them there and they get too big after awhile, just taken them out gently with a scoop, roots and all and put them in an appropriately sized little pots, tie with ribbon and give as a gift! (of course, to someone who would appreciate them.)

This is what's so wonderful about pruning and downsizing. Propagation. Plus your mother plant's (original plant's) ability to put out even more leaves and branches with time.