Jacaranda does not bloom

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by ginmill01, May 4, 2009.

1. ginmill01

ginmill01 Member

I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have a jacaranda that is about 8 yrs old, about 25 ft tall, only the base (suckers) have ever been trimmed. My tree has never bloomed (it did have one at the nursery when I bought it years ago). Any suggestions?

Thank you

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  3. DeeDee04

DeeDee04 Member

If it gets too much shade, it will not flower or will produce fewer blooms. Also Jacaranda prefers a sandy soil that drains well.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Equally, if it feels at all threatened by winter temperatures, it will delay blooming. Try a flowering tree fertilizer (high N).

5. carystanford

carystanford Member

i have the same problem and live in Calabasas. The tree has a direct exposure to to the south and gets full sun, but never bloomed. I wanted to blame my numbskull contractor, but it has been watered thoroughly ...maybe that is the problem...I was told that there plants of male gender that don't flower. Is that true?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, jacarandas are monoecious (one house), meaning that every individual tree produces both pollen-producing and ovule-producing structures.

So, no strictly male plants.

By way of an aside, don't assume that because an individual plant of a different species is male (e.g., holly) that it doesn't flower.

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Does age of the tree have anything to do with first expected bloom? I had a Jacaranda (from Bali) it never bloomed, likely because it was a potted plant for eons.... 12 years....