Identification: I've Got Another Grower on My Hands

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Koehle, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Koehle

Koehle Member

This plant looks alot like a succulent and actually when it drops it's seeds (which grow on the ends of the leaves) they will sprout roots without any soil, just a bit of moisture. I accidentally knocked some off and they were rooting on the ledges of my screen door in a matter of days. Grows very quickly, drops hundreds of seeds, and if you cut it back the stems dry and are hollow. I have looked in many house plant and succulent books and haven't been able to locate it, any guesses?

Attached Files:

2. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

Looks like you've got Bryophyllum daigremontianum, aptly named Mother of Thousands. It's an invasive species in the warmest states, but you don't have to worry about it taking over Charleston. This is a viviparous plant: the "seeds" it drops are actually miniature clones of itself. Neat, eh?

3. Koehle

Koehle Member

Thank you for your help. And yes, it really is a neat plant, but I was concerned it might get out of control if those clones got into the yard, haven't found any condition that it doesn't seem to work in except a cold snap. I will look this up, it would be nice to know more about this plant. Again, Thanks.