It was new leaf day a couple days ago.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I like new leaf day. Its kind of a reassurance that things are going right.
    Red Crystallinum
    Clarivervium
    Ivanportilloi
    Bullatus
    Moronense
    Reflexinervium

Attached Files:

wcutler and Tom Hulse like this.
  2. bihai

More new leaves
    Veitchii
    Brownie
    Ace of Spades
    Luxuriant x radicans
    Draconopterum

Attached Files:

Tom Hulse likes this.
  3. bihai

More new leaves....
    Anthurium regale
    Anthurium grex-avium
    Anthurium pedatoradiatum...2 plants in a container, both putting out a new leaf
    Alocasia 'Purple Prince'
    Philodendron verrucosum

Attached Files:

Tom Hulse likes this.
  4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Ha! You have Alocasia 'Purple Prince'. This is absolutely my very favorite plant. Like Anthurium papilliliminum is to you, 'Purple Prince' is MY plant. If I had to pick only one plant to keep, this would definitely be it. It looks like a double-size 'Amazonica' with massive leaves, but even thicker and waxier. In a greenhouse like yours this may seem like just another Alocasia, but when grown as a houseplant (especially for us Northern growers with dry houses from forced-air heating), this stands head-and-shoulders above any other other large-leaved plant in it's ability to tolerate dry air and resist spider mites. There are a thousand other greenhouse plants I might rather have, but for dry-air houseplants, I hereby label Alocasia 'Purple Prince' 'The Best Houseplant In The World'. ;)

I really loved new leaf day! Anthurium veitchii & regale are near the very top of my wish list.

5. bihai

I can't even remember where I got Purple Prince from. I got it about the same time I got Loweii 'Grandis'. They grew for almost 10 years in the same pot. I seem to have lost Grandis, which is mow quite rare, but Purple Prince remains with me to this day. I think I have had to for at least 20 years. I had it when we had our historical house, which we bought in 1993 and lived in until 2002. I brought it with me to my new house (and greenhouse) in early 2002, planted it in the GH in 2003. Had it ever since.

6. bihai

This is a very old photo of PP, c 2003/4, it really shows the purple

Attached Files:

7. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Yeah, I've had mine for about 25 years as well. Thought I lost it at one point from overwatering. Nothing above the surface, all foliage dead. I thought for a year or so it had a chance to come back, but I completely gave up all hope after about 1.5 years of nothing. I was crushed, and angry at my own laziness that allowed it to happen. I loved that plant so much I just couldn't bring myself to throw out the pot and it just sat alone in a corner buried behind other plants, barely ever watered. Then at about the 3.5 year mark it miraculously started sending up a few leaves at once. I've been much more careful since then! I wish I had known then what I know now about how to wake up Alocasia bubils. I could have had it growing again in only a month or two instead of 3 1/2 years.
    Btw, the purple on the back of the leaf is amazing as well!

8. bihai

I have had that happen with a number of ALocaisa, Tom. My Dewey's Reversa (I call it that, because I actually obtained mine from Dewey Fisk) will go dormant at the drop of a hat. I just put the container back and don;t water and it eventually comes back out. I bought an ALocasia sanderiana 'Nobilis' at a local nursery in c 2008. I grew it for a few years, and heaven, it started trowing actual REAL variegated leaves!. Then it went dormant and stayed that way fir about TEN YEARS, it re-emerged 2 years ago and now it is a great plant. SAnderiana (and the hybrids it produced) DO have a natural dormancy period in winter. The mistake people make is throwing to the pot. If you just wait, it will usually come back

9. bihai

This is my Nobilis back in the day. It made a few variegated leaves year ago but now, none. But, I guess the gene for variegation still persists

Attached Files: