It maybe too late but...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Palm Nut, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Palm Nut

Palm Nut Active Member 10 Years

Almost Aug now, was wondering, what if anything would be available right now in garden centers to put in flower boxes. My yard has south south/east exposure. I had winter pansies up till now and they just died on me. They have been in these boxes for 2 seasons now. It gets so hot, I need something that can withstand the heat.
    Thank you in advance for any info.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Flowers sized for a box

As this hasn't been replied to... a quick suggestion is what we have out front right now: Zinnia augustifolia. They're in a small bed in the middle of the entrance surrounded by hot pavement and get baked by the sun all day, yet these super-annuals seem to have no problem.
    Actually many plants in the family Asteraceae (like Zinnias) are good in hot and sunny conditions, and many have had dwarf varieties cultivated. Try asking in your garden center for small heat loving plants and see what they come up with.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Palm Nut,
    I like the idea of the zinnias. You might also consider mums. If you purchase them in bud (not in bloom) they will bloom longer for you and you can deadhead them for a longer season of bloom before frosts. Ornamental cabbages and ornamental kale should be out now as well. You might even find more pansies or some annual asters.

Newt