Is this the result of to much water?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Liekko, May 12, 2010.

1. Liekko

Liekko Member

Last year I started planting JM's at my new house. I've never had JM's before and really do love them - so much so that I can't seem to stop buying them :) So far I have about 63 different types around the house.

This year I have noticed a few of them are showing signs of pale yellow leaves, and I don't know whats causing it. I'm guessing that due to a wet spring here in N. Cal along with the sprinklers, that perhaps they are getting to much water.

Can you guys look at these pictures and let me know what you think?

Picture 1 is Orange Dream,
    Picture 2 is Glowing Embers,
    Picture 3 is Seiryu,
    Picture 4 is Katsura,
    Picture 5 is Aoyagi,
    Picture 6 is my beloved Tobiosho - which is usually always a healthy green even on new growth

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here because I cannot see clearly from your photos, but I thought I saw some black dots on the leaves of your plants. If they are indeed there, you might be experiencing a black spot fungus, common with maples in wet conditions. If this is the case, purchase a fungicide with copper and I think you'll notice a difference in the color of your plants. I could be wrong (my eyesight might be failing), but this was my first impression.
    mapledia