Is this really a mini hibiscus ???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nanashi, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Nanashi

Nanashi Member

My Mom gave me this plant. She calls it a mini hibiscus. I googled hibiscus and could find no reference to it.

The flower itself is about an inch and a half across.

Any information would be appreciated.

Added 2nd picture. I thought maybe a picture of the entire plant would help.

DSCN3972 (Small).JPG DSC00170 (Small).JPG

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Didn't find much about mini hibiscus in a quick search except the following comment from this page. But that wouldn't apply to the small blossoms, so not what you have. There are many hybrids of hibiscus so the possibility of someone creating a small flower probobly wouldn't be too difficult as I think some of the native or species hibiscus has a 3" or smaller flower and with a small plant size. Usually the effort is to form a cultivar with a larger flower, though. Harry

3. wrygrass2

On a follow up search I found this list of cultivars of H. syriacus that you might search through for the word dwarf and then see if the flower color is red. Also at the top of page is several other links to other lists of hibiscus species cultivar lists if you don't find yours on tis page. Harry

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. wrygrass2

Ron B.

So how many possiblities are we talking here, and did you have any specific genera in mind? :) At least the ones I looked through didn't have the number of cultivars that exist for hibiscus. I suppose the way to narrow down the list would be to look at the leaf shape? Harry