Is this normal for trunk?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by monkeygirl, Mar 7, 2021.

1. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Poof, over winter the trunk of my Mikawa Yatsubusa looks like this. All that ever showed before was a the single trunk. It looks cool, but is it?

Attached Files:

• ymt.jpg
      ymt.jpg
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
    • m.jpg
      m.jpg
      File size:
      999.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning monkeygirl, nothing to worry about at all, the root flare showing like this is a sign of good planting. Some people don't like it, but it is showing that there is nothing against the trunk causing problems.
    Do post some photos when it leafs out. A lovely tree you have there.

3. Acerholic

@monkeygirl, I have had it mentioned to me that a clearer photo and possibly a close up might be more beneficial in the analysis.
    Hope you can provide one or two?

4. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Well that's a relief! Thanks! So just leave it don't put dirt or mulch over it? I was afraid if left bare like that it could cause problems. Also, thank-you, yes, it is lovely, my favorite tree! The shape, the size, the foliage, the colors, amazing.......

5. Acerholic

Don't cover it at all. If you look at trees growing in forests you will see the root flare. This is how it should be. Soil or mulch up against the trunk can cause many problems.
    Glad to see you are a lover of maples, look forward to you sharing some photos on the forum in the future.

monkeygirl likes this.
  6. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Here she is, looking beautiful, also a pic of Katsura I was also worried about years ago asking for help. She's also doing great. Pic doesn't do Mikawa justice though because of cedars in background.

Attached Files:

MapleMO and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more, you have 'two' beautiful specimens there @monkeygirl.