Is this normal for my jade plant?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Feli, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Feli

Feli Member

I have had this jade plant for 3-4 years and it was doing fine until just recently when I noticed a lot of leaves dropping off. First healthy ones were dropping, then they started drying up and before they dropped. It also has a lot of brown scaly bark covering the bottom of the trunks. I have attached pictures. Should I prune the plant now (late summer)? Where should I be cutting back if I do? It's too tall and weak to hold itself up, so I have it staked. I would love to have a full jade plant. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Has your plant always lived in the location shown in photos?
    I think that the bark-like phenomenon is 'corking', and normal.
    Your other plant---Peperomia?---looks healthy. So does your jade, apart from the legginess.
    Suggest taking cuttings of the good growth---begin anew.

And: Welcome to the Forum!

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I grow mine outside. Are you still warm enough there to give it some outdoor time????. Our area has finaly had a relativly cool winter for us (down to 5C) and they are fine.

Liz who is heading for spring and blossom everywhere.

4. Feli

Feli Member

I rotate some plants every few weeks because I don't have much window space (that window is south facing but the plant started on a west facing window). I wasn't too concerned about the bark, I figured it was normal. It grew tall so fast that I thought the legginess was normal, then I started researching and saw how thick this plant can actually get. I am trying to find out what type of plant the other one is. Don't remember from when I bought it. I was just starting my houseplants and didn't really expect them to do well. That one took off. I've already pruned it back 2 feet twice and gotten new plants to give away from those cuttings. Thank you togata57.

Liz, my lows right now are about 60F (about 15C). Maybe I will try moving it outside and take some cuttings to start a new plant as well.

Thanks for the help!