Is this Leopoldii Acer pseudoplatanus?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Justine M, Apr 25, 2010.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in this mounth the temperature is 37 C°max=98 F°, min 15C°=59 F° ; this year max 27C° =80F° min 9C°!!=48 F° O.O

2. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Oh my! That sounds warm. No wonder your seedlings are not thriving!!
    Rome is a lot warmer than Vancouver. Our averages in May are "supposed" to be max=17 min=8. This year so far June has been even cooler (and wetter)!

3. knottnancy

knottnancy Member

Hi Justine, emery, katsura and alex,

I have been growing variegated maples from seeds for 10+ yrs now, and still not sure exactly what to call them! I have a parent tree that is now about 45-50 ft tall, that fits the description for Leoplodii, Nizetii, and Simon Louis Frere. The 'babies' fall into 2 distinct groups....1) green and white variegated leaves with plain/light undersides, and 2) dark green and 'pink'(white) leaves with purple undersides. I attribute the 'pink' to the purple showing through from the underside. Each year I gather seeds and plant them, with a result of about 20-25% of the seedlings being variegated and the rest are 'plain' green maples. I have only a dozen 'pinks' out of just over 100 trees, so I don't know how they happen! I thought for a long time, that they were the result of cross-pollination with a 'Crimson King' growing next to the parent, but I'm not sure. I would sure like to know what species this is! I'll try to post pictures.....can anyone help identify them? Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in pics 1 Nizettii, 2 Leopoldii,3 rigth is Simon L.F.left Leopoldii i'm not sure 100% compliments for your results :)