Is this Damping Off?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mcroteau1969, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I have Mahonia nervosa seeds germinating and most are OK. Some of the seed leaves on them have black edges (see photo) - is this damping off disease?

If it is, is chamomile tea really effective at combatting/preventing damping off? I don't want to use pesticides near my children, pets or pregnant wife!

Thanks
    Michael

Attached Files:

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

It doesn't look like it; the typical case would have your seedling lying on it's side with the stem "necked" or withered at the soil line.The same fungi can rot the seed in the ground, so it might also be possible that a less vigorous attack could be causing your problem, but than I guess we'd have to call it something else.
    If you have a number that are OK and some that are not, is there a common factor with the problem plants? (for instance a new bag of potting soil, went for lunch and the ones before are fine...).
    Good luck, Ralph.
    PS: For damping off the treatment is all hygene before you get it. By the time you can see it, it's too late for that plant, but quarantining would be a good idea for the as yet OK plants.
    RW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.