Is this 'Chlorosis' disease?.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Atapi, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Good evening, today I found my 'Ao Shime No Uchi' has more than a dozen of leaves that carried a bright reddish color along its stem and out to its tip (pics attached) and these leaves are begun to fall off their branches. I am sure we are not in Autumn yet although the color is quite strikingly beautiful but I suspect it may be some type of disease instead. This tree is about 3 ft tall and 5-6 yrs old, it is in-ground under some shade from other taller trees.
    I look up in JD Vertrees and the author described one of the diseases on JM called 'Chlorosis' but I am not sure this is the one. Thus any insight is appreciated because if it was a disease then I need to take care of it soon.
    Many thanks, steven

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don't know what this is but it doesn't look like chlorosis, which is a lack of chlorophyll in the leaves, making them somewhat white or almost reticulated. Chlorosis usually happens because of a lack of iron or magnesium (or the inability to absorb same because of other issues) if I remember correctly. It's treated with stuff like Sequestrene or equivalent. Actually I find anti-chlorosis is a useful treatment when light coloured Acer leaves are burning in the sun.

-E

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

It could be the onset of early fall colors due to stress. Usually a combination of heat and drought.

Emery, so you are saying you use Sequestrene or iron equivalent to treat sun burn on light colored leaves? I will have to try that on Orange dream. Thanks for the tip!

4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

In summer , with so many watering , substrats are thin watered-down, specialy the upper part of containers.
    I am used to give a regenerative solution with oligo-elements in august; it contains a little sequestrene , iron, cooper, and many others very tight substances rares.
    A very few , one litter of solution for each pot or tree for a container, it works well.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

John more preventative than treating already burned leaves, but seems very helpful. Can definitely help if it's just some bleaching though. The only problem is it can actually detract from the interest of the plant: I treated a 'Shigitatsu sawa' that was struggling with the early heat, it recovered beautifully but is much less reticulated than normal.

cheers, -E

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I second what others said about using chelated iron and like fertilizers.

Some of my trees showed similar symptoms early in the season, in June. Here are pictures of a 'Tsuma Gaki' in late june and today. I used Sequestrene and it apparently liked it even if the recovery was not spectacular. I also put an 'Osakazuki' in a slightly larger pot with a mix of .7 cm pozzolane and composted pine bark, without disturbing the roots, and applied the same treatment. Again, it didn't cure everything, but the tree looks much better even if the tips of the leaves are a bit burned.

Attached Files: