Is this apple tree thirsty????

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gilnv, Apr 6, 2010.

1. gilnv

gilnv Member

Is my apple tree thirsty??
    Near Lake Superior, I bought a dwarf apple tree and grafted some scions onto it.
    The scions were from a wild apple tree that had tasty sweet honeycrisp-like small apples.
    In about a month I'll plant this tree.
    Should I water this once a week until planting?

Thanks for any replies, because I'm not familiar with keeping a recently brought tree like this for one month in this container that it came in.
    Best regards, Gil

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. gilnv

gilnv Member

Thought I'd bump this thread in case anyone knows if apple trees in little containers like this need water.
    I suspect it's dormant and wouldn't need water, and any water may cause some root rot but I really don't know. Although, maybe apple trees are not prone to root rot and keeping it in this container for a month needs a little watering, afterall, Springtime usually has a Spring thaw and some water and sap probably starts up the tree to start the buds.
    Any guesses would be appreciated. I live in a remote area so I can't go to a greenhouse and ask their opinions.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think it will be using much water, but you would not want the roots to dry out, so I would water to keep moist.

4. gilnv

gilnv Member

Thanks for the reply and thoughts Eric La Fountaine. I am hoping in the tree will do well in the future years. Spring is happening here although today is cold at 40 degrees F.
    Birds and bunnies are appearing and hopefully they'll get some tasty apples in the future.
    Regards, Gil.