Identification: Is this an orchid?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kristins, Jan 17, 2005.

1. kristins

kristins Member

I have no idea what this is, I recieved it when a local prison shut down their greenhouse. Some thought it might be an orchid. Besides what you see in the picture, it has lots of offshoot type thingies with little plants on the end. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

kristins: IT appears to be a Dracaena fragrans, or, corn plant. If yours had yellow edged leaves it would be lindenii instead of fragrans. If you intend to keep this as an inside plant, it is incumbent to give it a shower at least once a month as house dust inhibits photosynthesis. Fertilize once a month with liquid fertilizer. Water well and then let it get slightly dry, then water again. If it gets 'leggy' beyond your preference, cut the cane and that will cause it to branch and start from one to three new 'limbs'. the cut off top can be potted to start a new plant, ad infinitum.
    While cutting might seem cruel or extreme since yours is still a little guy, mature height can be 20 feet, and the width as much as 36 inches.
    These are an outside plant in zones 10B-11, and can withstand temps down to 40 deg. F..
    I understand that I'm over 2 years late in responding, but just happened to run across your message.

3. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

More like Callisia fragrans. Very easy to grow and propagate.