Is This A Garry Oak

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Chris Morris, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Chris Morris

Chris Morris Active Member 10 Years

Here's a Garry Oak on Sowden at Tatlow in North Vancouver. Pacific Madrone across the street

Attached Files:

EarthyGirl28 likes this.
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes. Black-green foliage aspect is essentially unique among oaks seen in the local region. Bad pruning of tree to the right is not unfortunately unique in the region.

Georgia Strait and EarthyGirl28 like this.
  3. EarthyGirl28

EarthyGirl28 Member

That's why we have an arborist - besides, no way are we going to climb up our many huge trees to prune them, lol!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I thought you were showing somebody else's property. Now that the cat is already out of the bag since the elm(?) to the right has been scalped including possible flush cuts and a branch breaking off unevenly due to undercutting apparently not being used - and is in addition shading the oak and causing it to lean away, instead of having a fully manifested crown shape - complete removal of the other tree might be the smart move. In addition if that other tree is in fact an elm and a Dutch Elm Disease susceptible kind at that once DED finds it the tree will fail and have to be removed anyway.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    from what I can follow - it seems Chris is a « Garry oak scout » and perhaps while at job sites around metro Vcr BC — sees a garryana

that said - your observation @Ron B of tree « trim » warrants Plant Amnesty check-in, doesn’t it

the quest for view in our Coast neighbourhood results on all kinds of odd and ugly cuts. I cringe when viewing the haircut of a Kanzan I know … and @Willard it’s not the supermarket parking .