Is This A Garry Oak

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Chris Morris, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Chris Morris

Chris Morris Active Member 10 Years

Found this tree in Burnaby among ten other large Oak trees, all of which are English Oaks.
    This tree is different though, the leaves are larger, darker green, the leaves have short stalks unlike English Oak that don't have any and the acorns appear to be growing right on the branch whereas English Oaks have long visible stalks with acorns growing on them.
    This tree is close to my house, so I can get more pictures if need be. It's the tree on the right in the group of three.
    Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: Quercus garryana leaves and bark general appearance. If you think there is a possibility it is a hybrid between the two (the habit may look intermediate, for instance) the way to check would be to compare its leaves closely with those of various known Q. garryana. Structure of any acorns that might be present later could be illustrative also.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Garry oak acorns are nearly sessile (without stalks), while English oak have acorns on long stalks (peduncles) (English oak is also known as "pedunculate oak"). English oak have short-petioled, almost sessile leaves, while Garry oak leaves have longish petioles (leaf stalks). The leaves of Garry oak are usually darker green and have fewer, broader lobes with deeper sinuses, although both species are variable in this respect.

4. Chris Morris

Thanks for the replies, this is the first time I've seen a Garry Oak, at least the first time seeing one and knowing what it was. For a long time I thought English Oaks were Garry Oaks as English Oaks are fairly common around here. About three or four days ago I discovered through books and the internet that what I thought were Garry Oaks were English Oaks and took a walk around the neighborhood to get a closer look at some when I stumbled across this one.
    If anyone knows of any more Garry Oaks in the Lower Mainland other than U.B.C, Sumas Mountain and Yale, I'd like to see them. Particularly ones in Burnaby and east Vancouver where I spend most of my time.

Chris

EarthyGirl28 likes this.
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Totally ignoring the "east" part of your request, two locations in an unpublished book of heritage trees are
    1527 West 71st, two trees on the boulevard
    3537 Dunbar, one private tree around 100 years old
    I've see both of those locations. Here are photos of the Dunbar tree taken last October.
    08-1_20121008_Dunbar20th_QuercusGarryana_Cutler_P1340039.jpg 08-1_20121008_Dunbar20th_QuercusGarryana_Cutler_P1340041.jpg

Gerald Straley's Trees of Vancouver (UBC Press, 1992, p. 120) also lists these, which I have not verified to still be there:
    North side of W. 2nd Ave between Alma and Dunbar;
    North side of Point Grey Rd at the foot of Collingwood;
    Queen Elizabeth Park, along a path on the NE side.

6. Chris Morris

Thanks for the locations and pictures. I interested in seeing any Garry Oaks in the Lower Mainland.
    I might not make my way over to the west side next week or even next year but eventually I'll be out that way and I can check them out when I am.

7. Chris Morris

The tree I started this thread with is behind C.G.Brown pool in Burnaby. Here's two more trees I have since discovered, both in Burnaby.

In the 6300 block of Parkcrest Drive in the back yard along Woolwich avenue
    Smith and Laurel in front of a Church

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  8. jehman1

jehman1 New Member

There are two large Garry Oaks and 2 or 3 smaller ones in Langley on the West side of 208th St. and about 70th Ave. These trees were identified by the municipal arborist as such and a former counsellor told me they would be designated as heritage trees. I believe there was a move to make this designation but in talking to the property owner she did not know anything about it. Perhaps the municipality cannot apply such a designation retroactively. If you want to see them, you'd better hurry because this area of Langley is developing fast and it appears that a development will go on this site shortly and these trees could be lost forever. The trees are about a hundred feet in from 208th and are not to be confused with some large English oaks right along 208th.

Jim Ehman

9. Chris Morris

Thanks, we'll be heading out to Langley at the end of the month. I'll check and see if we'll be any where near there.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

If you would like a Garry Oak seedling I would be happy to provide one or more. I moved to the Garry Oaks area of Nanoose Bay from Burnaby a few years ago and now have more Garry Oaks (and Arbutus) seedlings than I know what to do with. It really hurts to pull them up as weeds but, if unprotected, the deer eat them before they have a chance to grow regardless. Garry Oaks in this area are afflicted with Jumping Gall Wasps every year which makes the leaves speckled-looking. You can actually hear the wasps in the galls when you stand under the trees. It doesn't look like this is a problem on the lower mainland - yet, anyway.

EarthyGirl28 likes this.
  11. Chris Morris

I actually got a small one last summer from Victoria via New Westminster at Peace Nursery. There were four to choose from for two dollars each. I would have liked to take all of them, but really only have room for one in my yard.

I am working on removing invasive plants from a one acre park across the street from my house and am planning on planting some trees there as well. I've already planted a couple and have about fifty more that I'll plant once they get bigger, but all I have right now are Cottonwoods, they seem to grow in my yard like crazy.

I would really be interested in having any extra trees you don't want, I could grow them in pots untill they are big enough, then move them to an appropriate place in the park or other parks near by, I'm just wondering how I would get them from you though, If you come over this way once in a while and don't mind dropping them off, I would be glad to take them.

Thanks for the offer. Chris

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    EarthyGirl28 likes this.
  12. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I will see what Garry Oaks I have when growth resumes in springtime and will put aside as many as I can for you. It is very encouraging to know others appreciate and cherish these beautiful trees and that they flourish on the mainland as well as Vancouver Island.

13. Chris Morris

Thanks very much, I would really like to see some more Garry Oak trees in my neighborhood, right now, I know of only one other than mine.There are lots of places around here where they can be planted, areas with lots of grass, or Himalayan Blackberry, but few trees.

I'll only be forty years old this year, so it would be nice to watch some trees mature over the years ahead and leave something for future generations to enjoy.

14. Chris Morris

Wow, these trees were nicer than I was expecting. It would be a real shame for Langley to lose such nice rare trees. It wouldn't hurt for someone who lives out that way to stop by city hall and ask if the trees will be retained or if it's possible to try to make that happen. I know Burnaby City Hall has people who are friendly and willing to answer questions regarding issues like this in the city.

The local papers are also a good place to let others know about issues like this in the community as well. I wonder if more people knew about these Garry Oaks, there would be more of a push to keep them as heritage trees and enhance any new development at the same time.

The Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team and The Garry Oak Meadows Preservation Society may also be of help for information about getting these trees protected. I know the city of Surrey protects all Garry Oaks regardless of size.

Sadly, trees mean nothing to most developers and it takes local government to encourage them to keep certain trees for the enjoyment of all people in the city as well as for the wildlife who have come to depend on them for food and shelter for generations.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    EarthyGirl28 likes this.
  15. Chris Morris

Here's some more pictures of Garry Oaks.
    First two are at West 71st, north side west of Granville.
    Next three are on Dunbar, west side between 19th and 20th.
    Next one is on West 2nd, north side between Alma and Dunbar.
    Last one is on Point Grey Road, north side at the foot of Collingwood.

Thanks to wcutler and Gerald B. Straley for the book, Trees of Vancouver for the locations.

Attached Files:

EarthyGirl28 and wcutler like this.
  16. Chris Morris

Here's a Garry Oak I've driven past for around 23 years but never noticed.
    I noticed it today from about a block away and was surprised to see it actually was a garry oak when I got closer. It's on Westlawn drive west of Delta Avenue north side of street.

Attached Files:

17. EarthyGirl28

EarthyGirl28 Member

I am pretty sure that the Oak in our front yard is Garry Oak. I will check the arborist report from a few years ago. I don't exactly want to put my address up here. Can I PM you after I check the report?

18. Chris Morris

Sure.

19. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I believe there's a grove of Garry oaks at the southwest corner of Winona Park (Yukon St. and 62nd Ave.) in Vancouver.

20. EarthyGirl28

EarthyGirl28 Member

I have been nurturing several "freebies" of Western Red Cedar, and ONE (presumably) Garry Oak seedlings since last spring. I've been trying to decide if I should geurilla garden them in a "wild" greenspace, as our propery is jam-packed with trees and cannot sustain any more. They are not big enough to risk planting yet, but if you're interested, I'd gladly rear them until they are ready and give them to you for free, if you like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021
  21. Chris Morris

Wow a lot has happened since I started this thread.
    At last count I’ve planted 335 native plants in the park in my neighborhood and will be down there again tomorrow digging out blackberries.

You can do the same, just make sure they’re big enough not to get run over by lawnmowers and receive water in the summer months, generally mid May until early October for the first two years.

I will accept donations of native plants but will generally not pick them up as I already have lots in pots in my yard, not to mention I’m getting older and can’t keep up this pace much longer.

Tons of watering in the summer, trimming around small trees so they’re visible to city workers in lawnmowers in the long grass and invasive plant removal in winter on top of working two jobs is starting to take a toll on my body.

Margot and EarthyGirl28 like this.
  22. EarthyGirl28

EarthyGirl28 Member

I completely understand! I can't keep up with all the work that needs done here, as it is... We have 1/3 acre and it is mostly creek and trees, including 6 Giants! 3 years in, and all the H. blackberry has been eradicated (!), along with rampant ivy, morning glory (still working on the periwinkle), acuba japonica, and a lot of 'weeds'. We are working hard to restore "our section" of the creek with as many native plants as possible. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate what you are doing! :)

wcutler likes this.
  23. Chris Morris

Frances at Esmond

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  24. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Please forgive in advance my question - I am not clear what the red vehicle photo illustrates - is it a Garry Oak tree?

The vintage homes are Beautiful - lovely paint colors

25. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's the Garry oak in the background, at Frances and Esmond in Burnaby: Google Maps