Is something wrong with this Saguaro?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Dutchman, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

My wife and I planted this Saguaro 3/17/08. (1) Today I noticed some separation in its linear columns and a yellowing discoloration. (2) It seems to have grown 1 inch in 19 months but has become considerably thinner. (3) Would anyone know if this is a normal phenomenon or do I have a potential problem on my hands? I really like these cacti and I have another larger one on the other side of the entrance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• (1).JPG
      (1).JPG
      File size:
      374.7 KB
      Views:
    • (2).JPG
      (2).JPG
      File size:
      385.6 KB
      Views:
    • (3).JPG
      (3).JPG
      File size:
      376.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is there anything that could be restricting its root run, or have affected or damaged existing surface roots? If all its roots are confined within that square, it certainly won't do well. Even a young Saguaro of that size would normally have roots extending several metres from the base, many / most near the surface. Any weedkillers applied nearby? Any digging nearby?

3. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

Thank you for your reply. There is nothing that could be restricting the roots. Those blocks only go down 4 inches. No digging or pesticides. As you can see from the attached photo, the Saguaro on the other side is quite healty and has been there about 8 years.

Attached Files:

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it looks damaged - maybe someone fell into it and just didn't tell you? or something was thrown against it? could even be birds that caused the damage. or those animals that you have in some parts down there - peckaries, i think they're called (i might have the name of the animal wrong - looks similar to a wild boar; is a dif animal tho)?? one might have been trying to have a snack and was interupted by something.