Is my rhodo sick?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by zenshack, Aug 17, 2011.

1. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Is there something wrong with my rhodo (See pictures)?

I planted it almost 2 years ago and after a few months it developed these yellow droopy leaves which have recently gotten worse. I suspect it is the soil ph but wanted a second or third opinion. Maybe this is normal?

When planting it I used a little bonemeal and added mulch on top. This spring I added soil amender to all my new growies. Eveything is happy but this plant.

I also did throw a little lime down earlier this year with all the rain and have since learned this was a mistake for the rhodo!!

I water it twice a week during dry periods and have given it the odd dose of fertilezer (24-8-14).

Any comments or suggestions would be appretiated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Forgot to mention it gets full sun all morning and almost full shade in the afternoon.

Thanks

3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Yes, it's chlorotic. Try scratching in some peat moss around its base. Also purchase some Iron Chelate and a small sprayer and drench the leaves and the soil around it. These things will help.

Don't fertilize it past, about the second week of September so that it has a chance to harden off the new growth for winter.

I get this problem alot at strata complexes we maintain. All of that cement in some buildings can leach
    lime and salts into the soil and cause chlorosis.

4. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Thanks David for confirming my thoughts and for the tips. Will get on that right away.

:)