Is it too late to plant out new perennials?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Mikayla, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Mikayla

Mikayla New Member

Is it too late now to transplant lavendar, echinachea and a few other perennials which I bought a few weeks ago, but didn't have a chance to put them in the ground till now?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2020
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Absolutely not too late! In fact, this is the perfect time of year to be transplanting anything and everything. The reason is that seasonal rains will provide the moisture new transplants require and cooler temperatures will minimize any stress involved.

Technically speaking, 'transplanting' is moving established plants from one area to another. In your case, you are simply planting out new plants from pots. This can be more problematic if your new plants are root bound, which they may well be at this time of year. If you see excessive root growth around the perimeter of pots, it would be worth the time to pull them out or even make vertical slits from top to bottom to make sure the roots will grow out into the surrounding soil.

Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott, of Washington State University, has written extensively about how to plant and transplant. Rather than try to summarize her advice, I recommend you looking at her website Linda Chalker-Scott | Washington State University where you will find extensive, science-based information.

Look specifically at https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/fragile-roots.pdf

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I would plant it out ASAP —- if nothing else you’ll be protecting it from freezing in a skinny little nursery pot all winter

In many ways this is a good time to plant because coastal bc is naturally rainy.

4. Mikayla

Mikayla New Member

Thanks Margot and Georgia Strait. I planted some out today, and hope to put in the rest tomorrow! I have lots of squirrels in the area. Would you recommend putting chicken wire over my spring bulbs?

5. Georgia Strait

Haha - thé black color fur or the little “native” Douglas sq?

Yes the Douglas sq - for sure at coast they do enjoy bulbs

I plant in round containers so I have some recycled metal screens from an oscillating fan (it’s round, usually ideally on front side of air fan one uses in heat of summer)

The other handy screen is the cheap metal screens one buys these days at dollar store to stop fat from spitting out of frying pan —- hard to explain — these screens are also round shape so very helpful for pots and don’t look too industrial

I think I bought for a quarter 25 cents at thrift if one is open near you these days.

6. Mikayla

Mikayla New Member

Thanks! Great ideas!

How would you recommend protecting bulbs that are planted in the ground? If I use chicken wire, should I just put them on the surface and remove them in spring before the bulbs start sprouting?

7. Georgia Strait

What have you planted ?

Tulips or ....

I have also used twigs to make it look nicer than wire

I have used huckleberry twigs and other pruning bits and pieces

And stuck them in the ground so the twigs look like little trees in a model rail road kind of idea

Cuz I know the nice and harmless little garden bird towhees scratch up the bulbs too

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

My husband and I are absolutely besotted with the cheeky little Douglas squirrels which we first met in 2006 after we moved here to Nanoose Bay. As far as I can tell, they have never targeted the hundreds of native bulbs growing here and, to tell the truth, I really don't care about foreign bulbs. Daffodils are immune from all predators.

Garry Oak acorns are the main attraction for all squirrels; also Big Leaf Maple seeds and Douglas Fir cones, when available.

We have become alarmed in the past 3 years or so to see black and sometimes grey Eastern squirrels move in in great numbers. Whether it's true or not, we have heard that the introduction of eastern squirrels spells the end of the native ones. So far, they seem to be co-existing although there are noticably fewer Douglas squirrels these days. We used to love watching them chase each other up and down the trees and hearing them scold us whenever we dared go outside.

I wouldn't admit to being complicit but many neighbours are actively involved in ridding the neighbourhood of black and grey squirrels.

Photo: This Douglas squirrel stripped the entire fleecy lining of the barbecue cover, probably to line his/her nest.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.