Is it some sort of cranberry?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Olafhenny, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

There is a plant growing in the woods on the North Shore with leaves and fruit like wild cranberry, but it grows up to 3m tall. It only loses part of its leaves during winter. The rest remains green.

I have always been enchanted by the light lacy appearance of this plant but could not attempt to own one, while living in an apartment in Vancouver. Now I live in a house in Penticton and believe that I have just the right shady spot with acidy soil for it, but do not know how I can get this shrub, nor by what name to ask for it in nurseries, if indeed they bother to cultivate such an indigenous plant.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Olaf

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

If the fruits are somewhat transparent red (lighter than cranberry), then it sounds like what we used to call "Huckleberry", a favorite bear food on the North Shore.
    Ralph

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly Vaccinium parvifolium. Young plants are semievergreen.

4. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Thank you, Ralph and Ron, you were both correct. When I googled 'vaccinium parvifolium' the picture the 'red huckleberry' showed clearly the plant I am looking for.

Now that I know, what to ask for I have to figure out how to get hold of one or two plants and get it to Penticton.

I plan on travelling to Vancouver and Victoria some time early to mid-May. Mabe I will have established a source by then.

Thanks again,
    best,
    Olaf