Is it 'Fairyhair' or 'Fairy Hair'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I'm sure its your fault, David - you tree abuser! LOL! Just kidding!

Mine hasn't come in yet, but I should have it within a week. I'll be interested to see if it has any burn after traveling all the way across the country! They say this is a tough little thing though, despite its delicate appearance...

2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi K4,

Oh yeah, call me a tree abuser...that will lighten the morale JUST FINE! LOL.

Where are you getting yours from? If it's not from Eastfork, shame on you! She has (or had--I don't know if we bought them all!) very developed 4 inche pots for $35.00. Just look at the pic. of mine to see how beautiful it is. I think that it has to be pretty tough if it can withstand Louisiana weather at it's young age. It's lost a few leaves but overall is doing pretty well despite all of it's repottings and such...

David

3. Kaitain4

I think mine is coming from Wildwood. They had a big one (of course, none of them are BIG!)

:-)

4. xman

xman Active Member

Hi,

Is fairyhair an upright tree? or is it weeping? My tree that is about 14 inches tall has mutiple leaders (actually splits into a V). Both leader are vigorous, should I stake one like you do for dissectums?

thanks,
    xman

5. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Great question Xman - I am eager to read what other people think on this one.

My little tree is doing the same thing - not one leader, but a multi-stemmed v shape.

The cultivar is not supposed to be a weeper, but I notice that its stems are so thin, it tends to droop and bend.

Because this little tree is painfully slow, I am hesitant to prune ANYTHING. I have been so bold as to pinch out a couple of terminal buds here and there to keep it more upright and balanced in habit - but maybe only two pinches in a year! Mine is smaller than yours, but does have one branch that could be a leader - if staked - but I am not sure about staking such a fragile tree.

I would love my 'Fairyhair' to have an upright habit, but I am timid about messing with it. I would appreciate very much to hear what others are doing with their trees.

Thanks!

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I too was wondering what form it would naturally take. Of course i had to intervene.

At the beginning of the growing season using string I cuffed all the branches into an upright angle and inserted a stake. I tied the "main" branch to the stake and that stem is completely upright.

I got my plant about the same time as Spookie and it's grown close to 9" on the longest branch.

Gil

7. Kaitain4

I just got one in from Wildwood and its doing the same thing - very "floppy". So I staked mine. I don't mind some crooked branches, but I don't want it to look like a PILE of fairy hair! :-)

I have to admit, this is the strangest little thing I have ever seen!

Here's some pics of mine...

Attached Files:

8. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Gil - glad to know your FH is motoring right along. Mine has probably put on about 6 inches total since we got them - but not to any one "leader". Mine looks more like a lollypop - shaggy ball on a stick - at the moment.

K4 - I know exactly what you mean! They are very odd indeed - like funky little Dr. Seuss trees. I find it really captivating though and seem to check on it every day! It's definitely the tree that everyone puzzles over when they poke around my collection.

Thanks to y'all's input, I am definitely staking the longest center growth as a leader. I don't want a fairy hairball! :)

9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I like mine better than all of ya'lls. :)

LOL.

Oh well, mine is a VERY well-balance ball of beautiful stems--I'll take some pictures, but we're still recovering from Gustav. Looks good and I don't know if I'll stake a leader because it is just sooooo symmetrical. I think that I'll like the shaggy mound-shaped thing, though. :)

David

10. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

On Buchholz website it is labeled as "Fairy Hair". The tree is a more of a bush form than an upright. It can grow to 8' tall, here are some photos of mature trees along with photos a good size fairy hair

Attached Files: