Is irish yew a "safe" bet as a foundation planting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Arvind, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Arvind

Arvind Member

I am thinking of planting Irish Yew near the home's foundation, since it is a rather shady area.

Would the root system of the Irish Yew pose any risk to the foundation?

Thanks for your help.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably OK, but it depends as much on the soil composition as the tree species. Heavy clays are the worst, as they shrink when trees reduce their water content.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not a small shrub, rather a tree reaching some height after many years. Multiple examples more than 25' tall have been measured in Seattle. I have noticed landmark specimens in cemeteries on Camano Island and in Morton, WA.

As with other upright habit variants of conifers, splaying out of branches under the weight of snow can be a problem.

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

RE:Taxus baccata ‘Fastigiata’ This plant take to dry shade, can be sheared at any time and can be cut back to old wood and will thrive again. That means you can control the size of the plant, and the shape. It will also produce fruit. These plants are more expensive purchases but they are well worth the added cost. A manicured impression will be yours with very little effort.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

A purely practical question - Why plant anything of any size close to a building? It is not necessary. In the course of a working life dealing with housing & buildings I can report that vegetation close to buildings is a bad thing. some of the problema are root systems interfering with drain lines, underground services & the foundation itself. Restriction of airflow around the base of the building leading to more mould, algae insect/arachnid habitat & general dirt accumulation. Security & garbage issues. Moisture issues where rot is accelerated in framing, roof or accessory structures. Failure to maintain adequate separateion between ground level & framing since it is out of sight, people pile up soil around the structure....I could go on (my wife tells me I do!).

Keep it clear around buildings & then put small stuff. that's what I am saying. Keep trees & large shurbs as far away as possible. JMO.

gb.

6. Ron B

Depends on the style and character of the building, and what it is made out of.

7. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Other practical considerations: How old is the house? How long does an Irish Yew live? Any house that I could afford was built in the 50's or 60's, and all are demolished now in favour of infills. And all original landscaping went with them. Secondly: I've never owned/lived in a house for more than 10 years.
    So the question becomes "Why would you care?"
    Carl

8. Ron B

Takes us back to "Why plant a future nuisance tree when you could just as well just something else?".

9. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Hmm? I am reminded of a saying about gardeners - "The older the a gardener gets, the more trees he plants". In my case this is fairly true. Thank goodness I no longer pose myself the unsettling existential questions of my youth. I am too busy enjoying gardens, plants & my life in general & particular.

....just don't put big plants tight up against your house! OK? Got it? :)

percy