Iris's no buds

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Karenfae, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Karenfae

Karenfae Member

I am new to this list so let me know if I post anything wrong -- in the wrong place ect. Problem: I have a lot of iris's, I have had them for many years. I am not an active gardener but love flowers that need little attention. In recent years I am getting a lot of green plants but little or no flowers -- any ideas on how to remedy this situation. The plant-bulbs, or whatever they are called :) told you I'm not an expert! are old, I have had them for a long time. I divided the bulbs last year and still no flowers. I am in zone 7 in Arkansas.
    Thanks for any help
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Has a tree grown nearby creating more shade than the area used to have? I've had irises fail to flower without adequate sun. Alternatively, they might need a year after dividing to get back to bloom size.

3. Karenfae

Karenfae Member

I tree did grow really big in one area that the iris's are in but not in other parts of the yard where they are and I am having trouble in all areas. Some of the iris's must be over 12 years old I wasn't sure if after awhile they fail to get flowers because of age. One raised flower bed that I put the newly divided iris's in last fall have not flowered this spring, maybe they will next year then.

4. mistyj

mistyj Member

I think usually they don't flower the year after you divide. They should next year though. They also will not flower if they are to close together.

5. Karenfae

Karenfae Member

thanks for your help. I have more in another section of the yard that I know haven't been divided in some time, I will take care of that this fall and spread them out over the yard some more. I take it full sun is best?

6. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

Re: Irises / age : I and my mother have had Iris that are as old as I am ( 44) and they continue to bloom , as any thing( bulbs) as they age they will reproduce but do go through seasons of thinning themselves if neglected , but they have survived the Ohio climate and neglect all these years ( we have the classic deep purlple bearded Iris ) I have divided in the past and rested them and they will not bloom until the next year. Make sure your watering if you are in an area of below average rainfall ( during times shortly before blooming.....) water affects many to most flowers in the amount of blossums they will produce .... manure might boost them too. Good luck.

7. mistyj

mistyj Member

I had some that got probably 1/2 a day sun and they did great, it may depend on the type, I'm not sure. Mine were the ones they call blue, I say they were a lavendar but my grandma said blue. I wish I had dug them up when we moved. Our house was bought by a school and turned into a parking lot. I had at least 100 and probably 8 different colors, a lilac bush too and all of it is now dirt :>( I have to get more iris's where I live now. My G-ma's really need to be divided, guess I should go do that for her since she doesn't really have anywhere else to put them:)

8. Karenfae

Karenfae Member

most of mine are in part sun, some are in sun all day - but those I realize now need to be divided.
    Thank you everyone who has responded to my question with the help.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/

9. nancypetty

nancypetty Member

hi I have lots of Iris love them have learned that they do not flower or flower as well if you plant the blub you must only plant the roots keeping blub above ground moved here 4yr ago when replanted my iris my mom said to put blub above drit I left one I had aready planted too deep and they never flowerd untill I replanted them the right way starsd with two small clumps now have a yard full all flower this year in A.Z they are all done now but two or three slow pokes

10. petalpatch

petalpatch Member

Please try a time-release fertilizer application such as Osmocote early spring when you start to see new growth. Sprinkle on, scratch into soil an inch and water in making sure none sticks to the leaves or touches the base of the plant where leaves come out of the rhizome. Does wonders!

11. petalpatch

petalpatch Member

Forgot to mention, don't use manure or high nitrogen fertilizers as this will produce all leaves and possibly encourage disease such as rot.