Iris ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Margot, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I know Irises are difficult to identify because they hybridize but I'm hoping this one with narrow petals may be unique. It could be a native west coast variety but definitely not Iris tenax. I don't think it's Iris setosa, I. sibirica or I. missouriensis either. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know anything about irises, but was keen to look them up. I found a blog page with a good description of the structure:
    Flowerblogging | Bill Noble's Blog (wordpress.com)
    He's writing about Marin County, California plants, particularly Iris douglasiana hybridized with I. graminea (grass-leaved iris), has several photos. I don't know that those would have arrived here, and nothing on E-flora BC (E-Flora BC Photo Gallery (ubc.ca)) struck me as similar.

Did you get your list of what to rule out on this page? Northwest Native Iris | Portland Nursery

The markings on yours look kind of similar to me to the one called Douglas hybrid at Bay Area California, Spring Wildflowers, Tennessee Valley Hike (passionategardeners.com).

This one on Instagram looks like yours, but of course, no name was given. It has some PNW tags. Krystall on Instagram: “What can possibly compete against the beauty of nature? Each and every flower, blade of grass, or towering tree is its own masterpiece…”.
    I hate it when I find exactly what I'm looking for on the internet and it's also not ID'd there.

Edited: it took me so long to write my posting that I didn't see Ron B's before I posted mine.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hi Wendy - I haven't pursued any of your leads yet because I want to thank you first for doing so much detective work on my behalf. I had begun to work through the key @Ron B sent but had decided that I'd need to hold a flower in my hand to make the right choices. Now I've got even more to help me with the ID so I'd better get started! Thank you both.