Invasive Tree identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Zerker7, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Zerker7

Zerker7 Member

I'm posting this unidentified tree species as a request from a colleague. I haven't been able to discern much about it's identity but this tree/shrub grows exceptionally fast.
    Growth over the summer period has been about three feet and there's quite a few of these widespread over the area. It seems to like very much the dryer and sunnier parts. The leaves are alrenate and toothed, rough to the touch on the surface, whiter on the underside.

I'll try and provide more images if necessary.

Attached Files:

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Siberian Elm (Ulmus pumila)....Good thing it wasn't American Elm. I've seen fence line volunteers put on 6-8' in a summer.

3. Zerker7

Zerker7 Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look it up. Earlier this summer we could count about a handfull of these in the area, now there's about two dozens............

However, confirmation would be very much appreciated because it may or may not lead to it's erradication. I will suply more detailed photos of the leaves in about 20min

4. rascaljade

rascaljade Member

This looks like the tree in our yard, but I'm pretty sure it's the American variety. It has grown almost 8' this summer, and they are popping up everywhere!!!

A couple pics:

Attached Files:

5. Zerker7

Zerker7 Member

I think you're right, definatly an elm, here's some close ups on leaves / trunk but all the growth are pretty young here (1-2 years)

Attached Files:

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's an elm, looks like an American Elm, and please please please don't cut it down... They can go invasive, but they're also pretty rare in Ontario due to the Dutch Elm Disease wipeout that happened in the past. It's actually a good sign that they're popping up there again. Give it 10 years and it'll be a gorgeous shade tree.

7. smivies

smivies Active Member

American Elm is not a rare tree in Ontario despite Dutch Elm disease. Old trees are rare but young trees (<30 yrs) still get to 50-60' and seed themselves all over the place. After Manitoba Maple, it is the most common weed tree in Kingston. It is not recommended to plant American Elm in a residential setting because of their short lifespan.

The leaves are too small to be American Elm and besides, who'd want a large shade tree growing in an inappropriate spot?

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

True true. I actually used to pull them out in Edmonton, much as it pained me to kill trees.

9. Zerker7

Zerker7 Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll contemplate my options and I don't think I'll cut them we'll cut them all down, but very new growths and future new growths will have to be targeted not to overun the area