Invasive Red Twig Dogwood

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by pckids, Aug 6, 2009.

1. pckids

pckids Member

We are having such a problem with our dogwood and no one seems to know what to do. I'm hoping someone on this forum has come up with a miracle!
    We live by the river in the mountains of Idaho. We have Red Twig Dogwood surrounding our property. It is a very nice privacy screen but the problem is we can not keep it out of our grass. We wanted to stop using herbacides since we are close to a river but now there is an interlacing network of dogwood coming up in our lawn. We used nitro-green service for years and it kept them at bay. (although we still had knarls of woody dogwood here and there in our grass.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep tham at bay and also a way to remove the runners in our lawn?

Thanks~
    Pam

2. 1digger

1digger New Member

Everything that I've come across states one must either put a barrier between the plantings and what you're attempting to protect, in your case your lawn. Sounds like a lot of work as these plants spread, especially in wet areas. While not as invasive as bamboo, the stolons, i.e. runners, will begin to spread unless cut at the base. I've only come across two varieties, there may be more that are less aggressive in their spread. Cornus alba 'Argenteomarginata' (synonymous with 'Elegantissima') and Cornus sericea 'Farrow' ARCTIC FIRE.