Invasion Of The Groundhog

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jaserell, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jaserell

jaserell Member

Help!!!!! secound year in a row!! I've tried everything known to man to stop this animal from eating me out of home and gardens and have failed. It has even gotten bold enough to come on my deck!!!! I've already lost one garden and it's working on the rest. I can't take anymore. I've tried not to kill it but I'm out of ideas. I worked with the humane society and nothing!!!!!

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Trap & relocate.....Havahart

It can be a sensitive issue, especially regarding survival rates of relocated animals, etc. That said, it works really well (if you transport them far enough that they don't come back). If you live in a rural area, probably not so effective (a single GH is likely to be quickly replaced) but it should work in a suburban or urban area.

If you have to have a GH, ours is the one you want. In our urban neighbourhood, ours goes from yard to yard, eating only dandelions and grass. It seems quite content in the lawn, mere feet from our perennial beds with no damage yet (it's been doing this since March)

3. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

I caught a woodchuck with broccolli and a trap. Put Hot chile pepper or dried blood on your flower until you have him taken care of...good luck.