Introduction from a newbie

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Tara, May 3, 2005.

1. Tara

Tara Member

Vancouver, BC, Canada (and Galiano Island)
    Hello Everyone,

I posted a question last night as an 'unregistered' and then realized it was time to join formally. Apologies for posting my Cornus Kousa query in the small garden forum instead of the Dogwood forum. I'll become better aquainted with this excellent site before posting again.

I'm an avid gardener in Kitsilano with a relatively small yard. Since one tends to run out of space, I've had some success moving plants (once, even a rather large Katsura Tree) to our communal property on Galiano.

All of the UBC gardens are beautiful - I visit often. The spectacular Paulownia Trees are in full bloom at the gardens right now... a must see for all tree lovers...

Cheers,

Tara

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Tara, welcome to the Forums. I guess we are neighbors. I left your post in the Small Space forum. I think it fits there as well and perhaps is better there. You are looking for a small tree and would like a dogwood. Someone may make a suggestion for a small tree that would substitute for a dogwood. Often there is more than one place for a post to go.

I am glad you enjoy the garden. It is spectacular right now.

Once again, welcome!

3. grass farmer

grass farmer Member

Paulownia...

I read that it flourished in B.C. Does anybody in Ontario grow it?

It's the primary species used in China for intercropping with shallow-rooted crops like wheat. Wheat yields actually increase because the trees push the wind up higher reducing its dehydration effect on the soil, plus leaf litter is fertilizer. The other reason Paulownia is so suitable for intercropping, is that, unlike other trees, 80% of its roots are below the 6" topsoil layer. Thus it doesn't compete for nutrients in the topsoil. Perhaps for this same reason, it might work well in a garden, though I've heard it is a very aggressive growth-wise.

There are lots of internet writings on it as a weedy tree, though in Japan it is considered an excellent lumber for making furniture and musical instruments. It's extremely light and doesn't warp when dried.

I've heard of one person in Ontario who tried growing it. But they claimed that our winters killed the top every year, though it would come back in the spring with new shoots.

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Welcome Tara,

Is this the same brilliant red Dogwood we have I wonder.