Insects on my plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Michellle, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Michellle

Michellle Member

I was wondering if any one had any good solutions as to how to get rid of bugs on a couple of my plants. I have an Australian Pepperming plant ( I believe that's what its called) and it is currently being infested by fruit fly like flies. When I shake the pot, small white larvae fall out of the bottom and there is an increasing number of flies in my room. I also have a Lemon Verbana herb plant and on the lease are very small white bugs. They almost look like lint or dust but they are some type of fly as well it appears. If any one has any suggestions as how to remove these pests, preferably an organic substance or if not a spray of some sort that will kill both the larvae and the bugs. Thanks

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Your "Australian peppermint" (a scientific name would be better for proper identification) probably has fungus gnats. These are small flies that lay eggs in moist soil so that the offspring (larvae) can feed on the organic matter there. Organic matter can be in the form of wood waste or other dead organic soil component, such as peat moss, or, unfortunately, live roots. Try drying the soil out a bit more between waterings to discourage the adults from laying. A venus-fly-trap or similar insectiverous plant placed near to the infested plant is often an effective control strategy.

The insects infesting the lemon verbena are probably aphids. These are relatively easy to dislodge by strong blasts of water from a garden hose (hold each branch in turn and direct the spray towards your cupped hand). Otherwise, dunk the plant headfirst into a bucket of soapy water.

Good luck

3. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

insects on plants

re the lemon verbena plant - I hate to disagree with the experts, but from the description given I believe the insects are not aphids but "mealy bugs" = any comments? I have NO IDEA what to do about them!

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

If the insects are mealy bugs, I apologize for the mis-diagnosis. I assumed that when you said they look like flies, that they have wings.

Mealy bugs can be dispatched using rubbing alcohol (70%) on a cotton swab, or sprayed with an insecticidal soap solution. They have to be physically doused with the alcohol or soap to be killed, and the procedure must be repeated frequently to be successful.

5. Mealy bugs

The mature mealy bug has wings, and plenty of air miles. We let one plant get out of control and now every plant in our home has these dreaded little beasts. By the time your plants start showing damage (seemingly healthy leaves start falling off), the end is near.

The only product on the market that comes close to making a dent in their population is TROUNCE (a Safer's product) but you'll spend a fortune as the plants need to be sprayed daily. This may kill the more delicate types of plants but left unchecked, mealy bugs are the kiss of death.

It seems the best way to get rid of mealy bugs is to clean them off each plant by hand, leaf by leaf, with soap or alcohol. Once the infestation has cleared up, repot the plant, discarding as much of the original soil as possible. Best of luck.

6. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ Member

i have a jade tree that was recently infested. I bought new soil... and my plan is to transplant it i was also thinking of dipping the whole plant in a bucked of rubbing alv=chol and then in a bucket of insecticidal soap.. is this over douing it... it's a fairly old plantand i don't want to lose it... i've been cleaning it daily with isopropanol and spraying the plant and soil whit the soap mix... it's not working

Where do these bugs come from?..... and why?

JXC

7. Tagg

Tagg Member

my avocado plant had some white bugs like your second plant. i found that if you wiped the leaves clean gently with an old damp rag and then misted it heavily with vinegar and a touch of water for about 3 weeks they would go. always wash your hands after touching the plant to prevent transmission.

8. sabrina77079

sabrina77079 New Member

Lemon Verbena Pests

Lemon verbena is a favored delicacy of whitefly and spider mites; many experienced gardeners and commercial growers refuse to have this herb around because they feel it attracts those pests. However, an equal number—many in the same climates—either experience no such problems or find the pests easy to deal with. Home gardeners with just a few plants can combat an infestation of whitefly or spider mites by spraying the leaves top and bottom with insecticidal soap, or with a solution of dishwashing liquid (1 teaspoon), vegetable oil (1 tablespoon), and water (1 quart) three times at ten-day intervals, rinsing about three hours after application. Indoor plants should be isolated from other house plants during treatment. Misting the plants thoroughly at least twice a week after treatment is said to discourage mites from recolonizing.

Read more: http://www.motherearthliving.com/ga...lemon-verbena-zmaz93jjzgoe.aspx#ixzz3DG9IbQZF

9. beave1098

beave1098 New Member

Neem Oil will do the trick - without poisoning them to death. I got pure Neem Oil if U R interested