Insect larvae

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by ashphaltandshade, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Hi! I was deadheading my beautiful heucherella "Stoplight" (okay, it's taken me a while to get around to posting this), and the whole plant came up! It had no roots at all! The plant looked perfectly fine on top. At first I thought it was root rot, but then I noticed these insect larvae nestled in each crown. Would someone please tell me what they are, how to prevent them from attacking my plants in the future, and how to tell they have infested my plants before it is too late! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Probably root weevils- they seem to love heucheras, so they probably love heucherellas, too. I don't think there is anything you can do this time of year for them; most of the treatments I've seen are either late spring or summer.

3. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Thank you for replying to my post. This infestation happened in the summer, it just took me until now to get around to submitting a post about it. The plant died, so I was in no hurry, but I have other heucheras, and I don't want this to happen to them, too. Would you please tell me what these treatments you know of are, that I can do in the spring?