Information about Sorbus randenensis

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by donnacanadensis, May 14, 2010.

1. donnacanadensis

donnacanadensis Member

Hello,
    does anyone have any information about Sorbus randenesis? I won a seedling a couple of years ago at a garden club raffle and it's clearly labeled with this name. It is definitely a Sorbus, the foliage resembles that of a mountain ash but appears somewhat finer. So far no flowers or berries, but foliage was spectacularly red last fall. It is now about twelve inches tall and I am keeping it in a pot until I find out its characteristics before deciding whether to plant it in the garden. I have googled it to death but no luck finding any information. The only "randenensis" I can find is an Ammonite.

Thank you

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Some useful info in Grimshaw & Bayton's New Trees. A Taiwanese endemic rowan closely related to Japanese Rowan Sorbus commixta; grows to 8m tall.

Most older plants in cultivation are apparently Sorbus commixta mis-labelled, with the true species only introduced in 1981 but now fairly widely available from several introductions. It is reported to be "prone to sudden collapse" in the Seattle area.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Being a garden club seedling I'd wonder how the seed it was raised from originated and what the species identification was based on. If the seed came from a specimen in a local collection or other cultivated setting hybridity could be possible (although Sorbus is I believe also known to produce some apomictic seedlings). Especially in this age of the internet people may look at a picture and think they have the right name for the plant in hand.