Info for Pruning JMs? (the japanese way)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by nelran, Jun 2, 2008.

1. nelran

nelran Active Member

I already have almost all the famous books related with Japanese Maples; and of course, they have very valuable info about cultivars, propagation, etc. They also show spectacular pictures of mature cultivars with twisted trunks and nicely shaped but they also have very little information, general information (or none at all) related with the specific topic of learning the oriental (Japanese) techniques to proper pruning, training and shaping JMs. My aim is to learn (as deep as I can) about this interesting topic.
    I have been doing internet search in different websites (mountain maples nursery has some info and also other sites), but my main point is to aim and get good, detailed literature (books magazines, etc) on this specific topic. The natural start point was in Amazon and Timber Press, (also I went to some libraries near my neighborhood, but I didn't have good sucess).
    In Amazon I found several books related with pruning in general but not related specifically on the Japanese way. The only book that I found (and bought) was Jake Hobson’s book titled “Niwaki”, and although is very interesting, most of the info are dedicated to junipers and other species, but barely (again) has info dedicated to Japanese Maples (3 pages only).
    My next step was redirecting the search in Bonsai books: I was thinking that probably they could have more specific and detailed info. I found some specific info but I don’t know if these procedures and techniques could be the right way to prune full size Maples.
    I will appreciate if somebody has additional info, advice, tips or hints –or better yet- recommended books related with this matter. Thanks in advance!
    Nelran

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Surely how you set about pruning depends entirely on why you want to prune in the first place?

3. xman

xman Active Member

nelran,

you can see some before and after pictures at this website. I have tried contacting them on numerous occasions but they do not respond. She does hold pruning workshops in CA.

http://www.wayofmaple.com/

xman

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

Yes, Xman, I already visited that site and I knew it. (If I remember well, it was a reference from mountain maples). She also had some "hands on" shops but was in CA. Thanks anyway.
    whis4ey, I just want to know is how to prune properly my JMs (palmatums and japonicums mainly) but (and this is the point) the "japanese way" that's mean: curly trunks and branches, properly branch layering, etc. My main goal is to start with young maples and make this kind of pruning to reach -several years later- mature, interesting and well developed forms that highlight (even more) each particular cultivar.
    Nelran