Infected Mint Plant - Mint Rust

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Cindy Law, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Cindy Law

Cindy Law New Member

We purchased a few mint plants and I noticed some are getting rust on leaves. If I cut back infected stalks or pull off infected leaves can I eat the leaves.on healthy stalks? Also will the infection spread to other nearby plants? Should I pull it out of the garden. I read one article that said cut all stems back to soil level then cover with fresh compost soil and it will grow back leaves that won't be infected. Other articles say destroy and bag leaves infected, others say try watering plants from root and if in corner planted then move to increase air circulation, whole others say burn the plant. So confused. Wanted Mint Plants to make mint tea and to boil mint leaves like my Grandma did with new potatoes. Any advice would be appreciated as this isnforst vegetable garden I have planted in many years and was excited about Mint plants I bought. Don't want to toss or destroy them if there is a way to save plant.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

They will come back from the roots, if the roots are healthy enough. Prune back to soil level + making sure new stems have air circulation and are watered from base will help. But if there are nearby plants supplying the rust spores, it will likely be a long-term challenge.

Cindy Law likes this.
  3. Cindy Law

Cindy Law New Member

Thanks Daniel for the advise! I will give that a try. I think when I first got herbs from Nursery and I had the herbs all together in one area on my balcony before planting them the mint plants all got infected from one Chocolate Mint plant my Sis gave me for my birthday that was in a herb planter with Parsley, Chilli, Lemon Balm and I believe it was a Peppermint plant. The Chocolate Mint was so rusty I pulled it out of planter eventually. Everything was squished together and the parsley grew quickly as did the lemon balm so no air circulation and you me tuoned that was important. The Lemon Balm never got infected or the Parsley or Chili plant, just the two mint plants and other mint plant starters on same balcony...wind must have carried it. They were in very close quarters. I was told I should not have planted mint plant recently right into garden and should have kept them in pots last night by friends who visited my garden. So I think what I will do is dig them up. Cut them back to the root like you suggest and pot them in fresh soil. Hopefully the rust does not spread to peas nearby or eggplant or peppers. If I continue to have rust issues I may grow the mint indoors. Really appreciate your help. Have a great weekend!