indoor seed starting

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by gerryca, Mar 23, 2007.

1. gerryca

gerryca Member

Hello,
    Could someone explain for me why it is not mentioned anywhere I've seen to start seeds in the pot in which it will stay until outdoor planting time? i.e., flats, trays, or small pots are recommended, followed by transplanting to a larger pot. Why not start out in the larger pot to begin with? Thanks!

2. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

There are indeed many seeds that can be started outside in the pots which they will permanently reside in. Mostly fast growing, easily germinating species, that can withstand more extreme temperature variances. As for why you don't hear more about planting directly in the final container, and starting the seeds indoors, I would say the most usual reason would be the extreme cost involved in having to either build enough grow light set ups for multiple containers, not to mention how hard it would be on my husbands back having to haul 30 oak barrels up and down stairs to the basement. lol. Much easier to carry some little flats up! Most seeds need a high level of humidity for good germination rates.( Hence the little plastic domes that come with seeding trays.)Once germination has occurred you take the domes off. If you had a bunch of different seeds, germinating at different times, you would never know whether to increase humidity for those still waiting to sprout, or to decrease for those that already had. Not to mention when to start fertilizing, how strong, etc. As I garden in zone 3b, I have to babysit all my plants 'till the end of May before I can safely plant out so I wll be first in line if someone invents a way to grow all that I want to grow outside in situ!

3. gerryca

gerryca Member

Thank you Mama Mac! I used to garden in zone 2b-3, now am in zone 5 or so. It's almost like learning again.

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Try moving from 3 to 10-11. Talk about a learning curve! I had to enroll in the Florida Master Gardener program to figure out what was going on. After finishing the course, I had to work as one because no course can teach you everything you need to know. After 11 years working in Manatee County Extension in coastal central Florida, I"m still learning, and enjoying every moment.

5. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

I am suffering from zone envy.

6. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

MamaMac: How well you SHOULD suffer! I have worked out of doors when the temp was -35 F., and had to start my diesel equipment with fuel soaked rags burning under the engines to warm the oil enough to enable three batteries in parallel to let the starter turn the engine over. Our coldest day here this winter has been + 50 F., and that had everyone in heavy coats and stocking caps. I guess it is all relative, isn't it?

7. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

My only consolation is that I can still be outside gardening at 10:30, 11:00 at night through the summer! Oh, but what I could grow in zone 11....That's why I have to build a conservatory!