Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Daniel Mosquin, Aug 6, 2006.
It's almost always this:
Leucocoprinus birnbaumii or a close relative.
good idea to do this (set up a stickied thread to answer a commonly posted question)...should do the same for the dog vomit fungus :)
Good idea, allelopath.
Hi, this is my first post. Please let me know if I am breaking any rules or procedure. I just want to know what this mushroom is, and if maybe its harmful to me or my plants?
Welcome to the forum Beebutzz4ever, and thank you for posting,
Your mushroom is sometimes called the houseplant mushroom - Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.
Lovely little thing - It will not harm your plants. It will not harm you as long as you don't eat it: I gather that it is not edible for humans as it has some level of toxicity.
With your permission, I would like to merge this thread, with our pinned thread on this topic: Let me know if that is OK with you?
Identification: - Indoor / Houseplants Fungus?
Merge it up baby!
I'm new at gardening and have no idea what to do. This yellow growth has been removed three times and keeps coming back. This plant is potted and is outside on a terrace. None of my other plants have any growths. What should I do?
I moved this to the Fungi forum, but I don't know if this is the right place. @Frog, do you comment on the affect fungus will have on the Aeonium and whether it needs to be removed and how?
@Kaplan, that's a cool fungus.
Mushrooms growing in an over-watered succulent? I'm impressed.
Can you help? Also, how do you know it is overwatered? It is in partial sun and temperatures are 90 degrees. I'm watering once a day. Would cutting back help get rid of the fungus?
It is cool - but it is freaking me out! I love this plant. I'm so nervous it is going to hurt the plant...
Once established, it will fruit whenever growing conditions permit, once a year for most species. What we see is the fruiting body. The other part of the fungus is resident in the soil, you would see fine white threads intermingled with the plant parts, they look like roots. I would guess (others with expertise will fill in the details) that the fungus is species-specific and lives on the dead and dying parts of this species of plants. Usually, they do not hurt the plant, they just use the shed parts of the plant. There is probably a linear relationship between the amount of over-watering and amount of fruiting bodies. Sooner or later, some bugs may show up to gobble this little delight. Watch for them, -they'll probably be special, too! Cool!
Agreed - Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, the Yellow Houseplant Mushroom, will not hurt your plant. Very lovely critter! Possibly helpful as these saprobes can make more nutrition accessible in the soil. Not edible. It is apparently at least slightly poisonous, so ensure out of range of any kids/pets if you think they might eat it.
I will merge this thread with our pinned thread for this mushroom.
Whoops I forgot to respond to the question about removal. Echoing Michigander, yes it is established in the soil and will fruit when conditions are right, which usually involves warmth and moisture but does not necessarily require much of both.
Removing this, or most other kinds of fungi from most substrates is rarely possibly: The mycelial body and spores of most fungi are so very tiny, and they will exist throughout the soil (or other substrate, as applicable). In this case even removing and replacing all of the soil in the pot still leaves likely bits on the roots, spores in the surrounds etc. Considering the stress on the plant of changing out its soil entirely, and considering the benefit it receives from a saprobic fungi, it does not seem a worthwhile action. Plus of course it is such a lovely looking mushroom :-).
Hope that is useful?
Thank you all. I feel quite relieved that it won't hurt the plant. And it is really funky and cool so I will leave it be. Perhaps cut back on the water a bit anyway. If any cool bugs show up I'll post a pic.