Indoor green thumb changes when outdoors...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Beeker, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

I don't get it.

I'm great with indoor plants. In fact, I don't have the heart to throw away clippings, so I am getting overrun with more plants than I know what to do with. But, when I am outdoors, trying to garden, I can't seem to get the plants to take. I do the research to make sure I am getting the right plants for the conditions they will be exposed to; sun, shade, fast draining, etc. but they don't seem to grow much, or want to flower. I don't understand why I can be so great with indoor potted plants, and so bad with outdoor gardens. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice for the upcoming season?

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Join your local garden club. Chat-up the neighbours whose gardens grow well. Concentrate on improving the soil. Grow only a few things that people right around you have in their gardens, taking over the whole darn place. Add new species or varieties from your cuttings a few at a time...or don't worry about it & keep plonking in your cuttings, after all the price is right.

Just some ideas from trying to establish my garden & help (it has been rudely called "interfering with") my kids with theirs. Of course, I can just admit my wife is a better grower than I & let her take the lead :). I AM better than her at digging, turning compost & chasing the neighbour's cat though.

Have fun. Spring will soon be here!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

It is really difficult to say what is wrong based on the little information you give.
    If only the plants you plant are doing badly then, I would say, you may plant them incorrectly (too deep or too shallow), add too much or wrong fertilizers, water too little or too much. There are a lot of things you can do wrong. Looking how other, successful gardeners do things is a good idea.
    If all the vegetation on your property is poor, you have problem with your soil.

4. ghp

ghp Active Member

Glad you asked this question because I have the same problem. I wish you luck!