Identification: INDOOR FLOWERING CITRUS... identification needed in order to avoid mental breakdown..

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pwk, Jul 14, 2008.

1. pwk

pwk Active Member

WHAT IS THIS PLANT??
    I neeeeeeeed to know. Neeeeeeeed. I would make that bold if I knew how. I've always seen whatever this is in the windows of little chinese food places and laundry joints. I'm so so so curious. I need it. (NEEED). My one soul purpose in life is to own this plant, basically. This particular photo was taken in Montreal, about a month ago. They had a whole bunch of them all over the restaurant, and believe it or not none of the plants really seemed to get much attention or light. They weren't particularly pruned or anything. I asked, but no one really seemed to speak english enough to understand my frantic excitement. That, or they were just very, very good at guarding THE SECRET. HOW ARE THEY FRUITING? HOW?. Are they kumquats? Please say they're kumquats. My kumquat seeds just started sprouting :).
    Any help would be eternally appreciated. If anyone can solve this, I know you guys can.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Re: INDOOR FLOWERING CITRUS... identification needed in order to avoid mental breakdo

It looks like a 'Calamondin' Miniature orange tree.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: INDOOR FLOWERING CITRUS... identification needed in order to avoid mental breakdo

Groceries and florists have these for sale during the holiday season.

4. Arvid

Arvid Member

Yup, Calamondin it is... the fruits are very sour and work fine for cocktails and salads =)
    The trees are very easy to take care of and flower generously!
    Good luck with yours!

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I've tossed a few little of these oranges by our bird feeder and Blue-jays will completely clean out every bit of the pulp.